PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
01' Won't hold COOLANT

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Aug 2016, 08:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 01' Won't hold COOLANT

Yesterday after driving home in hot weather I noticed the temp gauge climbing to 3qtr up so I popped the hood and looked in coolant tank it was empty so I poured qtr jug of coolant in and that was all I had so I put water in shut it off took another car to the advance auto and picked up some more coolant ...when I came back I noticed the water level in coolant tank hadn't one down much so I ran the car for 7min with heat on blast and couldn't get it to overheat but the coolant tank was losing water so I start pouring antifreeze coolant in and it takes the whole jug and it comes pouring out the bottom, so she's not holding her coolant so I dropped it off at Midas this morning since they are only a mile away...waiting to hear what the deal is
Old 02 Aug 2016, 09:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 01' Won't hold COOLANT

Sounds like it might be a leaky radiator or a leaky radiator hose.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 02 Aug 2016 at 09:16 am.
Old 02 Aug 2016, 09:55 am
Veteran Cruiser

Midas? Many, you're going to get a call saying you need a whole new exhaust system and four wheel brake job! LOL It sounds to me like your overflow jug has a hole in it or the hose came off. Good luck with Midas.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 02 Aug 2016, 09:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Midas? Many, you're going to get a call saying you need a whole new exhaust system and four wheel brake job! LOL It sounds to me like your overflow jug has a hole in it or the hose came off. Good luck with Midas.
Agree.
MANY, MANY years ago I went to Midas for an exhaust. Kid was using a torch to heat up joint where new system was going to join old system - I didn't like the heating up, because that part will then rust much faster. Anyway, undercoating started to catch fire and kid was slapping at flames with an oily rag, and I saw brake and gas lines in exhaust tunnel - I told them to get my car off the lift immediately - I left and haven't gone to Midas since.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Aug 2016, 01:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

When you say coolant tank, you mean the overflow/recovery? They will only take so much water before they start spitting it out the overflow. Sounds like you ran low for whatever reason and then tried to overfill it. Do a pressure test and find the leak. Midas will probably handle that.
Old 03 Aug 2016, 03:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
When you say coolant tank, you mean the overflow/recovery? They will only take so much water before they start spitting it out the overflow. Sounds like you ran low for whatever reason and then tried to overfill it. Do a pressure test and find the leak. Midas will probably handle that.
It was posted that he poured a jug of coolant in it and it started pouring out the bottom?
Old 03 Aug 2016, 05:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedEdition View Post
Yesterday after driving home in hot weather I noticed the temp gauge climbing to 3qtr up so I popped the hood and looked in coolant tank it was empty so I poured qtr jug of coolant in and that was all I had so I put water in shut it off took another car to the advance auto and picked up some more coolant ...when I came back I noticed the water level in coolant tank hadn't one down much so I ran the car for 7min with heat on blast and couldn't get it to overheat but the coolant tank was losing water so I start pouring antifreeze coolant in and it takes the whole jug and it comes pouring out the bottom, so she's not holding her coolant so I dropped it off at Midas this morning since they are only a mile away...waiting to hear what the deal is
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
It was posted that he poured a jug of coolant in it and it started pouring out the bottom?
Yes. That is what I read
Old 03 Aug 2016, 05:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Yes. That is what I read
I was just trying to say that if its pouring out the bottom you might be able to physically see where the leak is coming from.
Old 03 Aug 2016, 05:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I was just trying to say that if its pouring out the bottom you might be able to physically see where the leak is coming from.
My point was that when you overfill the reservoir it will pour out the bottom. That is what I think was happening.
rob302 likes this.
Old 03 Aug 2016, 06:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Agree.
MANY, MANY years ago I went to Midas..........Kid was using a torch to...........Anyway, undercoating started to catch fire and kid was slapping at flames with an oily rag, and I saw brake and gas lines in exhaust tunnel - I told them to get my car off the lift immediately - I left and haven't gone to Midas since.
i sometimes do stuff like that just to mess with people.. it's actually quite fun to catch the PT on fire with a torch. great stress relief.
torching the PT

i'd bet on the overflow simply being overfilled and running out the stupid overflow tube that you can't see. chrysler must have been laughing when they designed it. like "hey lets make it so instead of coming out the cap, it runs out a hidden tube onto the hot exhaust manifold and makes a huge steam cloud"