PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How do you drain the anti-freeze from 2002 PT Cruiser?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By DroptopPTGTCruizer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Aug 2016, 09:07 pm
Banned

Default How do you drain the anti-freeze from 2002 PT Cruiser?

I'm trying to figure out how to drain the anti-freeze from a 2001 PT cruiser, but unfortunately I'm running into some issues.

I seen a video on Youtube that mentioned that you just have to open some valve under the radiator on the drivers hand side of the car, and I've now found that valve, but I can't figure out how to open it.

Right now it is straight up like this:
|
And I turn it counter clockwise to this:
-

But nothing is coming out So I did some more research online and seen another person say that you have to point diagonally and then pull out.
But it seems like I'm trying a million different combinations of trying to get it open but nothing seems to be happening

Do you guys have any suggestions on how I can properly open it?
Old 02 Aug 2016, 09:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: How do you drain the anti-freeze from 2002 PT Cruiser?

If you look at the new valve in the plastic package, you'll see that there is a ledge at the end of the curved rail that will stop the valve from coming out of the drain. If you turn the valve and pull it out while turning, you should get it to come out but not completely off. Many times, the rubber gasket gets caught and prevents the coolant from draining. See if you can get a curved dental pick or something similar to loosen the rubber gasket.

The good news is that if you mangle the valve, the replacement is only $5 at O'Reilley Auto parts store or some other similar place and not $8.45 like what I paid at the Chrysler dealership.
Old 03 Aug 2016, 12:46 am
Young Cruiser

I just drained my radiator this past weekend in my 2005 PT several times, distilled water flushed until clear, then filled with Zerex HOAT G-05. I have the exact same Dorman replacement drain plug pictured assuming I would need it but didn't. The drain plug is tight in the radiator in a vertical position, I used a squirt of WD40 on initial removal, used channel lock pliers to turn counter-clockwise. About 2 full turns then pulling out with light pressure the drain plug came out cleanly.

I then removed the radiator cap to release any back pressure. Also to make life easier following a tip I found online, used a floor jack to raise the passenger side of the PT behind the front tire. It greatly increased the flow & got the fluid into the pan instead of draining all along the bottom edge of the radiator. Removing the lower radiator hose didn't yield any additional fluid removal, just fyi. I flushed with distilled water about 4x, running the car for about 10 mins each time with the heat & fan on high to clean out the heater core as well, then allowing to cool about an hour or two, or overnight depending. Only after 1st time minimal tiny pieces of debris came out, so didn't use the Zerex Flush I had bought, as my coolant system seemed pretty clean. After 4th distilled water flush I was sure anything more would have been overkill, system was clean & clear of old coolant. During refills making sure to drain air out of purge valve on thermostat housing assembly is a must, a lot of trapped air. Multiple fluid level checks since, no leaks anywhere or missing fluid.

So long story short, I have a spare drain valve & original wasn't damaged totally removing & replacing several times. I used the channel locks to replace the drain plug each time, requires firm but not too much pressure turning clockwise while pushing back into place. Hopefully this helps, good luck.
VsandFords and Carnut like this.
2005 PT GT Convertible HO Turbo Autostick ~ black/black leather ~ 53,000 miles ~ summer-only driver ~ OEM rear sway bar ~ K&N 57 series CAI ~ 4-wheel ABS ~ Hawk Sector 27 drilled/slotted rotors ~ Hawk Performance Ceramic pads ~ Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Wide-Oval performance tires ~

Last edited by DroptopPTGTCruizer; 03 Aug 2016 at 01:37 am.
Old 03 Aug 2016, 03:33 am
Cool Cruiser

The above sounds about right. I did mine some time ago, but as I remember: I used a pliers, using no more force than necessary (obviously, it's plastic), unscrewing and pulling to free the drain plug. There was an o-ring in the assembly that had a lot of friction and that was causing the difficulty. I got mine off, drained the system and replaced, with no damage.
Old 03 Aug 2016, 02:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

I haven't had much trouble with that drain plug. Just pull it out while you twist. OTOH, it will probably drain faster if you just pull the lower hose. Sometimes that it easier. I've done it both ways.