PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
light instrument cluster

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2016, 03:23 am
Cool Cruiser

Default light instrument cluster

Sorry, accidently posted this in the new user forum first.

The green light showing that the headlights are on is lighting all the time. Not the lights themselves but just the instrument. Even when I lock the car and come back in an hour or so it's still lit. Yesterday my wife couldn't start the car since the battery was drained but it was fully charged sunday evening so I was thinking there might be a connection. Is there a button that controls this similar to the courtesy lights that never goes off if you turn the dimmer all the way or has anyone had a similar problem?

Last edited by ed9msi; 03 Aug 2016 at 03:24 am. Reason: forgot subscription
Old 03 Aug 2016, 05:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: light instrument cluster

That "green" light showing in the instrument cluster MIGHT be the light indicating the FOG LIGHTS are on. The U.S. cars don't have a light telling you if the regular lights are on but we DO have the FOG light indicator. If it's staying on and running down the battery, you might have to change the MFS (Multifuction Switch) as it's a known problem here in the U.S.

P.S. the FOG light indicator DOES look like a single large light in the instrument cluster.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Aug 2016, 05:54 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks, which one is the multifunctions switch?
Old 03 Aug 2016, 05:57 am
Veteran Cruiser

It's the one that controls your headlights, fog lights, dimmer and turn signals. It's a pretty simple one to replace.
CREWZIN likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 03 Aug 2016, 06:04 am
Cool Cruiser

Ah, so what you're saying is that it brakes often and you need to replace the whole switch if I can't shut of the foglight with it?
Carnut likes this.
Old 03 Aug 2016, 11:37 am
Veteran Cruiser

Because Trump

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Nov 2016 at 12:21 pm.
Old 04 Aug 2016, 02:56 am
Cool Cruiser

Yes in Stockholm. You are right, the cluster lamp is really the front fog light. Interesting is that fuse #8 (fog lmp) is empty in my car so I put one in and turned on the fog lights but they didn't light up neither was the fuse burnt. In fact from the feel of the fuse I would say there aren't any metal contacts in the fuseholder for #8? But I do have foglights in the front spoiler! Isn't this strange? Is there anywhere you can download a wiring diagram to this car so I can start tracing it?
Old 04 Aug 2016, 07:58 am
Veteran Cruiser

You need to either check or remove fuse #22 like sanatanadharma suggested before you get into the wiring. If you want to check wiring, start by looking for bare wires under the bumper where the fog lights are. I'm still betting on an MFS problem, though.

Old 04 Aug 2016, 08:05 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Chuzz, so the multi function switch is a known problem on these cars that tend to cause issues like this? Can it be repaired or is a new one the only option? Any easy way to measure the MFS to confirm the issue?
Old 04 Aug 2016, 08:12 am
Veteran Cruiser

Yes, it can be repaired and SOMEONE here has a pretty good write up with pictures. I THINK it's PTPrice or PTcruisersteve. I can't be sure though. I have had two brain surgeries and can't remember things from day to day. Just do a search for MFS repair or rebuild and see what comes up. If you don't find it, one of the other members will be able to point you in the right direction. Sorry I can't be of more help.