PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Sporadic Start problems, no codes

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2016, 04:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Sporadic Start problems, no codes

Hi, all! I am so frustrated at this point...2006 PT, manual trans, no bells or whistles. Sometimes starts just fine, other times tries hard but won't start, other times NOTHING, no crank, no panel lights, no click, nadda. When that happens, I remove the key, reinsert, turn the key on and THEN depress the clutch. It will start 98% of the time. Normally, the start process is depress the clutch, turn the key, and go on my merry way.

Along with this problem, occasionally and very sporadic, I will experience a full panel light up for a split second. Once it went into a near stall in an intersection, but I was able to recover it and get home. Again, no codes, no duplication at Chrysler even though they had it for a week.

This has been going on for about 6 months, right after I and them do an LOF and check the battery (before I bought a new one) which they said was fine. New plugs and wires, new battery, but no codes to tell them what to do. Because of the clutch issue (must be fully depressed to start the engine) I am thinking it must be a sensor of some type. To top it off, the other day I went through a car wash, did an undercarriage clean, and almost immediately started feeling a slight tranny hesitation. Not really slipping, but you could tell something wasn't right. The next day, hard start and and panel lights came on twice with some tranny hesitation. Again, I think it must be something that can get wet and must be connected to the clutch. If not a sensor, then what?

Today, all seems well, normal starting and no tranny weirdness. So...with all you wonderful PT magicians out there, can someone tell me where to have a mechanic start and hopefully finish to fix this?
thecabinguy likes this.
Old 03 Aug 2016, 05:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Sporadic Start problems, no codes

I would suggest checking the wiring going to the ignition switch and the switch itself.

Do you have a few keys on your keyring?
bgarrett likes this.
Old 03 Aug 2016, 08:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Re: Sporadic Start problems, no codes

Chrysler is unwilling to go there right now. Yes, I have a few keys on my key ring. However, even using only one key the results are the same. Just barely got back home after trying to do a little shopping and darned near got killed because it lit up and started stalling on me while I was driving. I had to use the momentum of the vehicle to clutch start it twice when turning around to get back home. Will be taking it in in the morning to try to convince them to FIX my car. Any thoughts?
Old 03 Aug 2016, 09:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Have they checked the ground wires..??
bgarrett likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 03 Aug 2016, 09:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

To be honest, I don't know if they are doing anything but putting mileage on it. They check the cables. But they are so busy trying to duplicate it, they aren't really working the problem. And it doesn't code and it is so sporadic they say it won't duplicate. I am beginning to not believe that story.
Old 03 Aug 2016, 09:14 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Pull the air box & check that these ground wires are...clean, tight, not broken. It's also a good idea to remove them, looking at them sometimes isn't enough.

bgarrett likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 03 Aug 2016, 09:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Will check it out. Thanks for your help.
Old 04 Aug 2016, 12:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Does the headlights. dash guages stay on when this happens?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 04 Aug 2016 at 12:58 am.
Old 04 Aug 2016, 07:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Last night the dials all died. I was a little busy at the time so I don't know if radio failed. It was daylight so I don't know if the lights were working or not.
Old 04 Aug 2016, 09:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Chrysler won't look at it until next Wednesday and they want me to keep a log of everything I am doing when it happens. They didn't even want to check to see if it actually coded yesterday and had the nerve to tell me it may be a computer problem. They have lost a lot of points with me today. I couldn't get it started to leave and they were too busy on the phones to come out and see. I went back to the car and it started right up. I may just give it up and go to Chevy for a new car, just for spite.

Tags
hard starting, no codes