PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear seatbelts do not lock when tugged sharply (PTCruiser 2001)

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Aug 2016, 08:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rear seatbelts do not lock when tugged sharply (PTCruiser 2001)

Hi

I drive a PT Cruiser 2001 and would be grateful for advice on a problem:

The rear seatbelts at either side do not lock unless tugged EXTREMELY forcefully (most of the time when I tug sharply, they don't lock).

By contrast, the front 2 seatbelts and the rear CENTER seatbelt lock when tugged 'normally' (ie, a sharp pull, but nothing extreme; just like in other cars)

Is there something wrong? I'm afraid in case the rear side seatbelts may not lock properly in the event of a sudden braking/accident.

I read (in another forum, for another type of car) that some cars were made with seatbelts that only lock when the car has a certain momentum and/or they need a very sharp tug. But if that's 'normal' in the PT Cruiser 2001, then why do I only notice this in the 2 side rear seatbelts but not the others?

Is there something a mechanic could do?

Thank you!
Old 07 Aug 2016, 09:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Rear seatbelts do not lock when tugged sharply (PTCruiser 2001)

I came across this thread where someone seems to have a similar problem with the rear outward seatbelts..

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser...locking seatbelts? - Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Old 07 Aug 2016, 09:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

Just went into the garage and tried the seat belts in my 2000/2001. The fronts and center rear lock up when pulled sharply. The two outside rear seat belts DO NOT lock-up when tugged sharply. So, yours are working the same as mine.

The two rears will most probably (I hope) lock-up when the vehicle comes to an abrupt stop.
rsrocket1 likes this.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 07 Aug 2016, 09:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

CREWZIN - Thank you so much for taking the time to go and test that. I'm glad (and curious) that your behave the same way.

I'm hoping that the fact your experience matches mine is indicative of an intentional design difference between these 2 seatbelts and the other 3, and that even the rear two will work fine in an emergency - I'm using these for my kids (with booster seats) which is why I'm concerned.
Old 08 Aug 2016, 12:23 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Yes, Gen 1 rear outboard seatbelts are tough to lock up

When I installed my subwoofer on my 2009 base model, I needlessly removed the left rear seatbelt. I had a difficult time getting it to extend back out and removed the wrong side cover. The spring exploded out of the assembly.

I went to the junkyard and got a replacement thinking that a "seatbelt is a seatbelt". I installed a 2004 PT Cruiser left rear seatbelt into the car and noticed that it took a real fast and hard jerk to get it to lock up. Much more so than the original. As it turns out, the buckles are different and a Gen 1 seatbelt will not fit into a Gen 2 latch so I had to remove it and get a Gen 2 seatbelt. No luck at the local junkyards so I had to go to ebay to get a replacement Gen 2 seatbelt and after making sure it latches, I installed it and yes, that seatbelt took much less force to lock up than the Gen 1 seatbelt.

Bottom line, yes it is tougher to lock up and it seems to be "normal"

Last edited by rsrocket1; 08 Aug 2016 at 12:25 am.