Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Indicators flashing. Why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Aug 2016, 12:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Indicators flashing. Why?

Just tonight, I experienced something - in our 2009 PT Cruiser - that my wife had shared with me, a few days back. I had just left a grocery store, and thought that our car was a bit sluggish on starting. Driving home, I noticed that the icon notices - which would light up at the bottom of the speedometer window - began flashing on & off, and continued that way until the car was turned off, upon my return home.

What might this be due to?

Nathan
(2009 PT/ non turbo/auto)
Old 08 Aug 2016, 01:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Indicators flashing. Why?

First I would suggest if you have a trip counter button on the instrument cluster, you can try to reset the cluster and see if this helps. If you turn on the ignition with the button held down. Try holding it for at least 5 seconds or until something starts to happen, it should put the cluster into its 'self-test' mode. All of the gauges will sweep through their scales and all lights on the cluster will be tested. This should have the effect of resetting the cluster. If it won't go into test mode or dies partway through, you would need to check to see if the instrument cluster is working properly.

If the instrument cluster is good I would you check the ignition actuator. Do you keep a few keys on your key ring?

If the ignition actuator is working properly I would suggest checking all wires going to the TIPM. The TIPM is common for being faulty. The TIPM is sensitive to voltage drops so i would suggest doing a battery load test before checking out the TIPM.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 08 Aug 2016 at 01:50 am.
Old 08 Aug 2016, 04:05 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Indicators flashing. Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLAlston View Post
Just tonight, I experienced something - in our 2009 PT Cruiser - that my wife had shared with me, a few days back. I had just left a grocery store, and thought that our car was a bit sluggish on starting. Driving home, I noticed that the icon notices - which would light up at the bottom of the speedometer window - began flashing on & off, and continued that way until the car was turned off, upon my return home.

What might this be due to?
Are you talking about the CEL (the little orange motor)..??
or are all the lights lighting up (red lights)..??

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost