PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Brake Question After Freeing Stuck Caliper

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Aug 2016, 10:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Brake Question After Freeing Stuck Caliper

Put some new front brake pads from O'Reilly on. When I got to Clearwater Friday morning, I heard a slight squeak, squeak from the front end. When I applied the brakes, I didn't hear it. Son of a b, I mean gun. So, I painted her living room, dining room and kitchen Friday evening and yesterday. The wife and I got up early and came home, so on the way, I picked up some new pads and brake cleaner and lube. Got home and figured 30 minutes to an hour AT THE MOST, to change the pads, right? Noooooo, the passenger side caliper was stuck and didn't want to compress. I took the top off the reservoir and cracked the bleeder screw and still couldn't compress the caliper with the 4" C clamp. I am leaking a LOT of fluid and still no compressing the damn thing! I close the bleeder screw, clean up the mess I'm making and get a 6" C clamp and block of wood. Back to the caliper and I completely remove the bleeder screw and start cranking on the C clamp. WHOOSH!! All of a sudden, I get compression and now I have a t-shirt that's covered with brake fluid. The rest was pretty easy. The driver side took all of 15 minutes to do. No problems there. NOW though, when I put my foot on the brake pedal I hear a kind of slight whooshing sound. I have good pedal height, and the brakes work fine with no binding of either caliper. Anyone have any idea what the hell the slight whooshing sound I'm hearing could be. It seems to be coming from the master cylinder area. I'm hoping I didn't rupture a seal somewhere with back pressure by compressing the caliper. Any ideas? I have to drive my daughter to a doctors appointment in the morning and want it to be safe for her. I don't care what happens to me, but she's only 21.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 14 Aug 2016, 11:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Brake Question After Freeing Stuck Caliper

I would suggest checking the vacuum hoses going to the brake booster. Sometimes at a T fitting on the vacuum hoses next to the brake booster there is usually one fitting on the T fitting that is capped off and sometimes it rots out and starts leaking.

If all the hoses look good check to make sure the master brake cylinder is working properly.

Does the brake work properly when you step on the brakes?

Check to make sure you are not loosing brake fluid as you are driving the PT Cruiser.

Good luck.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 14 Aug 2016 at 11:38 pm.
Old 15 Aug 2016, 06:43 am
Veteran Cruiser

Thanks Steve. I'll check that out today. Just driving it around the neighborhood, the brakes work and feel fine. I just never noticed that noise before. I'm going to do some more researching before taking it out on the highway. I'll be using my 200 this morning for the daughters appointment. My son doesn't need to leave to go to work until 3:30, so it's all good for now.

Old 15 Aug 2016, 09:04 am
Cool Cruiser

If you have a good peddle the master and seals should be ok. No leaks? Are you sure not a simple thing like a bent vacuum (dust) plate rubbing on the rotor.

If you are not sure bring it in have them checked don't mess with brakes if you have any doubts!
Old 15 Aug 2016, 12:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I have plenty of pedal and they stop just fine. I'm going to jack the front end up when it stops raining and check them. I'll just have the wife get in, start it, put it in gear and apply the brakes. Then I'll have her put it in neutral, let her foot off the brake pedal and I'll rotate the wheels by hand and see if they spin easily of if I can hear the pads rubbing the rotors. If so, it's back to the drawing board. I don't let other people work on my cars. It's a trust issue. And a money issue, since I don't have any.

Old 15 Aug 2016, 01:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

there is a clue to what the noise is in the first post..

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 15 Aug 2016, 02:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK ILL PLAY ALONG

I spy the word o"rileys pads

or for $400 what is Orileys pads

So did I win the NEW CAR???
Old 15 Aug 2016, 03:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The key word "Whoosh" is what I was looking at and associated with brake booster , brake cylinder fluid flow and vacuum effecting brake booster. This is going to be a good thread.
cruserdad1976 likes this.
Old 15 Aug 2016, 03:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

could be maybe some how blew out the Booster I usally find that if a caliper is stuck a lot of time its bad break lines
Old 15 Aug 2016, 03:08 pm
Veteran Cruiser

No, this thread can be closed. All is well today. No scraping, no rubbing, no whooshing sounds at all. As far as I'm concerned, I'm done with this job.

Last edited by chuzz; 15 Aug 2016 at 05:52 pm.