• 3 Post By Busted_PT
  • 1 Post By VsandFords
  • 1 Post By VsandFords

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Aug 2016, 11:28 am
Banned

Question Muffled !POOF! and now car won't start

Hey Guys,

Was wondering what your thoughts are on what's going on with my 2002 PT cruiser.

Just recently had some issues with overheating after I used water as coolant for the first time ever and it kept overheating on me. I'm guessing this is from a tiny leak in the water pump. Because the car was overheating, water would start flying out the overflow and I think a little out of the water pump.

Now I fixed up this issue I was having with my car overheating by switching to anti-freeze (70% / 30% mix ) instead of water.

However, about a week later now, while starting to accelerate out of a drive-thru, the car suddenly made a very muffled POOF sound I think at the front of the car, and it stalled.

When trying to start the car everything sound normal like it's trying to start but it just won't.

Would you guys have any ideas what's going on? I was hoping/think it was maybe just something like a spark plug. But my dad doesn't seem to think that is the case if it appears to be trying to start.

I also noticed there has been a lot of corrosion surrounding the battery, but although my dad thinks that's probably not good, but that it doesn't have to do with the car not starting if everything else (battery wise) works on the car.

He thinks that maybe it could be the timing belt. But would you guys know how I could possibly check that? I tried looking up some stuff about timing belts going, but not finding too much information.

Any suggestions? Also, just curious, is it possible that my engine is gone? Or anyway to check that it's ok before I put money/labour into the timing belt (and I guess the water pump too)?
Old 17 Aug 2016, 11:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Muffled !POOF! and now car won't start

Pull the cam sensor in the drivers side of the PT. two 8mm headed bolts. Look to see if cam is turning while turning the starter. If not belt broke. After that you might look at the sensor.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Aug 2016, 12:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Is your engine light on? If so you could try to find someone that might have an OBDII Scan Tool to get the engine trouble codes.
Old 17 Aug 2016, 04:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

On my 01 there is a peek a boo hole in the timing cover between the cam gears. With someone's help to turn the key or using a starter button attached to the solenoid, you can see if the cams are turning.

samiejg likes this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 17 Aug 2016, 04:49 pm
Banned

Thank you all for the help. I will try out those suggestions to check if it's the timing belt.

However, I was wondering though.. I heard something about when the timing belt is gone that there is a 50% chance that valves and pistons in the motor get bent/break.

Is that actually the case? Or is there any easy way to check that before putting in a whole bunch of work into changing the timing belt? Just worried I'm going to be in the same situation after all is said and done.
Old 17 Aug 2016, 07:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

I can say that when the belt breaks, it should not bend any valves. The 2.4 is not an interference fit engine. I was running down the road at 70mph when the belt gave up. Nothing was damaged other than the belt and my wallet.
Carnut likes this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 17 Aug 2016, 10:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I can only say that the only people that seem to run into bent valves are the ones that are paying someone to do the work. At most you hypothetically could bend a valve hitting the opposing valve. We are talking about a 2.4 right!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 Aug 2016, 07:38 am
Veteran Cruiser

Keep in mind that if you do the work yourself, BEFORE you put the covers back on, make damn sure you rotate the engine several times and check the timing marks to be certain you have it in time. This is a royal pain in the neck job and you don't want to have to do it more than once.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 18 Aug 2016, 12:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Go to the how to section in the performance section. And look for harmonic balancer thread and see some great pics of all this

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com