Advertisements
2008 PT Cruiser 5 spd - Hard Shifting

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shazam0527

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Aug 2016, 01:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2008 PT Cruiser 5 spd - Hard Shifting **FIXED!**

Hi All.. Fellow PT Owner here - having problems now with my PT not shifting easily. I replaced the bushings (they were bad) and that helped.

Here's how it's happening.. Car is cold, starts right up, shifts easy. As car is running, shifting becomes more difficult and sometimes takes 2 hard pushes to get into gear. Now the weird part - once it's in gear, depressing the clutch does keep it in neutral, no RPM drop at all. And shifting OUT of gear is also difficult/hard.

I'm at a loss, and hoping someone here has some knowledge/experience as to what I can check on my own. I'm not a uber-mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but I know my way around engines a bit.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Shazam0527; 19 Aug 2016 at 12:16 pm.
Old 19 Aug 2016, 12:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2008 PT Cruiser 5 spd - Hard Shifting

Ok, something inside my head said "Crawl your fat a$$ underneath and look at the pedal"

Here's what I found and what I did - now it's shifting like it's brand new!
After finding that bolt and seeing that there is a 1/4" gap at the top, I decided to adjust it a tiny bit to see what happens. All the while I'm saying out loud to myself "I'm going to regret this, I know I am!" but much to my surprise it actually WORKED! All I did was loosen the bolt to make sure that it let go, then compressed the pedal a couple times to make sure it was released. Then I let it extend all the way out and give it a little negative pressure to pull the pedal out just a hair then retightened it. I think I moved it maybe 1/8". Something so tiny yet so imperative. *boggled*

I've been having this problem for well over a year, but I really only drive my car once every 2-4 weeks because I work from home. And by the time I get home, I've already forgotten the problem.

I hope this helps others that are having this problem. It was scary to think my clutch was dying after only 70k miles and babying it. (Yes, 2008 PT cruiser with only 70k original miles on it! bought it with 5 miles on it brand new).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt-cruiserclutch.jpg (90.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 19 Aug 2016, 12:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2008 PT Cruiser 5 spd - Hard Shifting

Congratulations on the fix and thanks for posting it. I don't have a manual shift, but I'm sure somewhere down the road, it'll help someone else. Kudos!

Aspire to inspire before you expire.