PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
front turn signal bulb only half working

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Aug 2016, 08:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default front turn signal bulb only half working

My son has a '07 base model with around 128k. He came home saying that when he uses the right signal, it blinks fast. I checked and the rear bulb was out. I replaced the bulb, but still was blinking fast. After a closer look, only 1 of the 2 filaments in the front fight bulb is lighting. The front left bulb has both filament lighting.

I replaced the right front bulb, no go. I tried the 2nd bulb in the pack with no fix. I unclipped the socket the bulb goes it and cleaned the connectors, reconnected and same issue. I pulled both bulbs and sockets from left and right side and swapped them. Right side still only has 1 filament lighting. So seems like the bulb and socket are good.

Any idea what else I should be checking? The signals all flash, but the right is fast and front is dimmer. I hate to leave it this way.
Old 20 Aug 2016, 11:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: front turn signal bulb only half working

I would check to make sure the light bulbs are the correct ones.

How does it work when you put the hazard lights on?

Check to make sure they have 12 volts going to the sockets.

There has been cases where the sockets go bad from being overheated after several years. Check the sockets.

The blinker relay is inside the TIPM.

This member says there could be a design problem where the rubber is causing the wires to loose contact. Check the wiring going to the sockets.
Turn Signal Problem 2007 Pt

i have not had this problem but this member posted that every bulb has a "return" wire which in his case is black. One way or the other the return wire of the blinker was disconnected.
So he cut that wire from the harness and connected it to another black wire from the head light. The conclusion I gathered was whether he compensated for the TIPM not working properly by hooking it up to the black wire from the headlight. Do your own homework and if you are not used to dealing with electrical work get someone that knows what they are doing. Some members have blown out other components not knowing what they were doing.
2006 TURN SIGNAL PROBLEM

This member had problems with his blinkers and was able to fix it by reflashing the TIPM at the dealer. I would suggest holding off on doing this until all other diagnosis has been done. I have not seen many members posting that reflashing the TIPM worked.
Turn signals quit working
VsandFords likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 21 Aug 2016 at 12:48 am.
Old 21 Aug 2016, 07:31 am
Veteran Cruiser

Sounds like a bad ground connection to me. BUT, as I've stated before, I'm NOT a mechanic.
VsandFords and LionPT like this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 21 Aug 2016, 07:34 am
Senior Cruiser

I agree with ptcruisersteve and chuzz. The first thing I would check is the ground.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 21 Aug 2016, 09:45 am
Cool Cruiser

Try one of the original bulbs if you haven't done so. A lot of these bulbs look the same but are slightly different and will cause this problem.

Next grounds and wiring as stated before.

Mike
Old 21 Aug 2016, 09:49 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would check to make sure the light bulbs are the correct ones. I double checked on the websites and they all listed 4157NA as the bulb, so this should be good.

How does it work when you put the hazard lights on? The same, only a single filament lights up in that bulb, the other 3 are normal.

Check to make sure they have 12 volts going to the sockets. I'll have to check. I tried with my meter, but was getting weird results, but I'm not familiar with this meter. Read up on it and think I understand it now.

There has been cases where the sockets go bad from being overheated after several years. Check the sockets. I moved the right socket to the left side and it worked fine, so wouldn't this eliminate the socket being the problem?

The blinker relay is inside the TIPM.Wouldn't a bad relay cause the whole bulb not to work?

This member says there could be a design problem where the rubber is causing the wires to loose contact. Check the wiring going to the sockets. I examined the wires at the end of the harness and they appear to be connected.
Turn Signal Problem 2007 Pt

i have not had this problem but this member posted that every bulb has a "return" wire which in his case is black. One way or the other the return wire of the blinker was disconnected.
So he cut that wire from the harness and connected it to another black wire from the head light. The conclusion I gathered was whether he compensated for the TIPM not working properly by hooking it up to the black wire from the headlight. Do your own homework and if you are not used to dealing with electrical work get someone that knows what they are doing. Some members have blown out other components not knowing what they were doing. My socket has 1 black & 2 white wires, so I'm guessing the black is the return wire he's referring to. Hopefully when I check for voltage it clarifies.
2006 TURN SIGNAL PROBLEM

This member had problems with his blinkers and was able to fix it by reflashing the TIPM at the dealer. I would suggest holding off on doing this until all other diagnosis has been done. I have not seen any members posting that reflashing the TIPM worked. I read this and thought he meant to clear the codes, so I did this and of course didn't change anything, since he meant a reflash at the dealer.
Turn signals quit working
I'll see if I can check the voltage and if that makes any sense as to what's wrong.
Old 21 Aug 2016, 10:36 am
Cool Cruiser

Alright, I checked the voltage and I'm now more confused than ever. It makes no sense. I tested both sides and neither has any voltage. I removed the sockets, with the hazards on. There are 3 wires, no matter which two I put the red and black meter leads on, nothing shows voltage on either side. How can that be, when I click the socket and bulb in, they flash.

I tested the meter on the battery and it reads 12.8, so it's set correctly.

Makes no sense to me, if I can't figure out how the wires are supposed to be powered, I can't figure out which one isn't getting power.

By looks I would assume the black is the ground and 1 white is for the inner filament and the other white is the outer filament. If this was correct, I should be getting 12 volt between the black and each white, but nothing, makes absolutely no sense.

I may just be stuck with this dim fast blinker. I'm not taking this to the dealership and paying like $800 for this, like quoted in one of the other posts.
Old 21 Aug 2016, 11:06 am
Veteran Cruiser

Because Trump
ptcruisersteve and Gkon like this.

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Nov 2016 at 12:09 pm.
Old 21 Aug 2016, 12:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

sanatanadharma - After seeing this, I'll have to do some more checking.

I was able to correctly get some good voltage checks, that didn't make sense to me, until reading your post.

I got 12V from the black to outer white, and white to white, just not middle white to black. This was the same on both sides.
Old 21 Aug 2016, 12:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconut View Post
I'll see if I can check the voltage and if that makes any sense as to what's wrong.

I double checked on the websites and they all listed 4157NA as the bulb

Where did you get this information?

On the Chrysler part catalog for 2007 base model and my 2007 PT Cruiser I have 3157NA bulbs.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 21 Aug 2016 at 12:28 pm.