PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Mystery Stall

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Aug 2016, 09:30 am
Young Cruiser

Question Mystery Stall

My Wife's PT has hatched another mystery illness. Whenever her fuel tank is half full the engine can sometimes stall when idling at a stoplight, for instance. Has anyone else ever had this problem and what was the cause? Her car is a 2005 GT Convertible.
Old 21 Aug 2016, 09:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Mystery Stall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
My Wife's PT has hatched another mystery illness. Whenever her fuel tank is half full the engine can sometimes stall when idling at a stoplight, for instance. Has anyone else ever had this problem and what was the cause? Her car is a 2005 GT Convertible.
We need more information.

Is the engine light on? If so what are the engine trouble codes?

Does it do the mystery illness if the fuel tank is low or full?
Old 21 Aug 2016, 12:31 pm
Young Cruiser

Stall seems to happen when tank is half full or below.
Old 21 Aug 2016, 12:32 pm
Young Cruiser

Engine light does not come on before the engine stalls.
Old 21 Aug 2016, 12:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Do you normally wait till the fuel tank gets empty or the fuel light comes on before filling it up again?
Do you top off the fuel tank when you go to refill it up?

There might be two possible causes:

Weak fuel pump
Saturated carbon canister

I would suggest the next time the fuel tank is below half a tank to check the fuel pressure. You should be getting 58 +/- 5 PSI. You might have a weak fuel pump. A full tank might be providing enough fuel pressure from the weight of the gas on the pump pickup to help it be able to maintain fuel flow, but then the tank gets low and the head pressure drops the pump is might not be strong enough to maintain the fuel pressure on its own. Before you look further on the fuel pump first check the carbon canister.

Another idea is you might have a saturated carbon canister. Your gas tank breaths in through the charcoal bed in the charcoal canister. If that's saturated, it cannot do so and a vacuum can develop in the gas tank airspace as the pump draws the gas down, preventing the pump from pumping out fuel. And it can be caused by "topping off" the gas tank.

Do you normally wait till the fuel tank gets empty or the gas light comes on before filling it up again?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 21 Aug 2016 at 01:11 pm.
Old 25 Aug 2016, 01:43 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Do you normally wait till the fuel tank gets empty or the fuel light comes on before filling it up again?
Do you top off the fuel tank when you go to refill it up?

There might be two possible causes:

Weak fuel pump
Saturated carbon canister

I would suggest the next time the fuel tank is below half a tank to check the fuel pressure. You should be getting 58 +/- 5 PSI. You might have a weak fuel pump. A full tank might be providing enough fuel pressure from the weight of the gas on the pump pickup to help it be able to maintain fuel flow, but then the tank gets low and the head pressure drops the pump is might not be strong enough to maintain the fuel pressure on its own. Before you look further on the fuel pump first check the carbon canister.

Another idea is you might have a saturated carbon canister. Your gas tank breaths in through the charcoal bed in the charcoal canister. If that's saturated, it cannot do so and a vacuum can develop in the gas tank airspace as the pump draws the gas down, preventing the pump from pumping out fuel. And it can be caused by "topping off" the gas tank.

Do you normally wait till the fuel tank gets empty or the gas light comes on before filling it up again?
It was the fuel pump, thanks for the input.
Old 25 Aug 2016, 02:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks for getting back with us on the solution to the problem.
Old 24 Sep 2016, 03:01 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Mystery Stall (It's Back)

Today was the first time my Wife's PT stalled since the fuel pump was supposedly replaced. This occurred 3 or 4 times at stop lights before we could get to a gas station and fill the tank. As before, the problem occurs when the tank is down past the half full mark. Will call the shop Monday and see where that leads.
Old 24 Sep 2016, 03:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What brand fuel pump did they put into the PT Cruiser?

Did they show you the old fuel pump?

Was this the first time refilling the tank since the fuel pump had been replaced?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 24 Sep 2016 at 03:17 pm.
Old 24 Sep 2016, 04:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Ugh, fuel pump issues ... just because it's new ... does not mean it's not a problem. On my 951 I have had to replace a new fuel pump twice!

I refused to belive my newly installed Fuel Pressure gauge that always read 0??? After a month of trouble shooting everything from the fuel rail back to the fuel pump?? I discovered the second fuel pump ... was also a POC!!!

But yes it could be an issue with the Evaporative Canister thing also?? Hopefully the shop warranties it's work so they will it get solved for the OP.