PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Power Door Lock Actoator... or Not...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By scoleman69

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Aug 2016, 11:58 am
Young Cruiser

Default Power Door Lock Actoator... or Not...

Make that Actuator in Title... dang spell check misses that part apparently... arrggghhh!!!

Recently the front driver's side door power lock started making a horrid ratcheting / grinding noise on Unlock only but worked, now has started to make a similar noise on Lock. Wasn't a big deal on Unlock as we just treated the locks as manual for the time being when unlocking til I would be able to get around to fixing it. However with the auto-lock and inconvenience of not being able to use the inside locking switch for locking the doors w/o the racket it's become a real PITA...

Have manual and looked into several suppliers of parts and at first thought I needed the entire latch assembly the way the 'actuators' were described. After a closer look and review of a forum thread on the subject it appears all I need is the relatively cheap actuator portion of the assembly only. However, given the noise I wanted to ask on here if in fact my issue is likely to be actuator related only. My life experience is such I take nothing for granted and prefer to have as much good advice as possible such as Y'all have on here to lessen getting bit in the arse, hence the question...

Just to be sure I'm on the right track the part I think is all I need looks sump'n like this...

A second question involves sourcing the part. Unfortunately it seems that purt near every supplier from RA to eBay to AZ to etc. has replacements for every door EXCEPT the Front Driver's side... both actuators and assemblies. One would think that is the one most in demand and kept in stock... of course, being in heavy demand perhaps they can't keep them in stock, but one would think they'd still be listed in some cases. I'll be going back through and rechecking since I haven't with all of them since concluding the actuator may be the only part I need, but if anyone can suggest a for sure source I'd appreciate it...

In addition, while it looks to be fairly straightforward if anyone has any tips and tricks one should know about anything involved in this exercise that would also be greatly appreciated. My experience is that after having done something a few times one usually finds there's some lil traps it's nice to know about ahead of time, or shortcuts to make the job faster and less of a hassle...

TIA...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Power Door Lock Actuator - s-l225.jpg (4.1 KB, 39 views)
Car #69

Last edited by scoleman69; 23 Aug 2016 at 12:02 pm.
Old 23 Aug 2016, 01:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Power Door Lock Actoator... or Not...

It may be the actuator or it may just be the linkage. If me, I'd take it apart and try to determine this before buying parts.

If you read through the forum threads you will not find a whole lot of folks writing about having to change these out. This usually means the part doesn't fail that often. And for that reason, an actuator out of a salvage vehicle may be the best option. Where I live the salvage yards are full of PT Cruisers and most have power door locks. So the "pickens" should be good. Also, if it turns out to be linkage, salvage is likely the way to go.

As far as tips on doing the job, I don't know. This is one of the few parts I've never had to or wanted to mess with specifically on a PT Cruiser.
Old 23 Aug 2016, 05:36 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the prompt response...

See follow up below if interested...
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Car #69
Old 23 Aug 2016, 05:56 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Dude, I THINK I may have one of those. What gen is yours? Mine is out of a 2003 model. I think it will fit the 2000-2005 models. Not sure. Ten bucks plus shipping if I have it, if you're interested. Let me know and I'll look through my spare parts.
They're not that hard to change out. Couple of 10mm bolts, a plug connection and a linkage connector. That's about it. The hardest part is getting the protective vinyl off the inside of the door off and back on without tearing it or messing it up.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Last edited by chuzz; 23 Aug 2016 at 05:58 pm.
Old 23 Aug 2016, 07:07 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Power Door Lock Actuator... or Not...

First attempt at follow up mysteriously got trashed, so trying again...

Here's what I've found and what I ended up doing in case anyone gives a rat's patoot and finds it helpful... ';)

@Handy_Cruiser's post: No way this could have been nor was a linkage issue, or lack of lube as other threads have concluded.

Checked out some of the related threads found below this that failed to show up in my search...

In particular one ref'd the issue of a dearth of subject parts for the front driver side as I noted, to wit Post #10 in power door lock actuator... which may... or not... be explained by Post #2 in Door lock LH side, power which asserts that the front driver's side actuator and latch are an integral assembly only, unlike the other three doors [ which makes no sense to me unless related to switch which allows controlling all the doors from that lock ].

Since there's an issue w/ sourcing parts for the driver side front door I did what I'd started out to do before deciding to see what Y'all had on the forum or could respond with... disconnect the dang thing, use the key and lock tab for the driver door since that's what we were doing anyway to avoid the horrid racket [ until it started doing it on Locking w/ switch as noted which was the final straw], and still be able to control the other doors with the door switch which ain't no beeg deal and works fine. So, if one can live w/o having keyless control of the one door there Ya have it...

Couple things I noted:

Plastic retainers released w/o the usual breakage associated with the typical ones. [ nice design ].. I find a flat wreaking bar to pry these type fasteners to work better than most methods.

Black goo that secures plastic barrier doesn't get all over everything it touches yet still retains enough sticky to reattach and hold.

For just disconnecting I found it easiest to remove the arm rest base bracket and just enough of the plastic in the area of the latch to get to the connector which can't easily be reached so as to work the release and pull, but I found I could press the locking clip in with small flat driver which stayed in the release position well enough to allow the connector to part with a gentle pull on the wiring.

@Chuzz [ whose post I just noticed while composing this ] - I have a 2002 LE which best I can tell from all the listings for actuators and complete assemblies are compatible with 2003s [ seems the break is between 01s and 02s ]. IF what you have is for FRONT DRIVER'S SIDE and a complete assembly guaranteed not DOA I may well take Ya up on that offer... Please confirm if interested, and in any case I really appreciate your taking the effort to help out.
Car #69
Old 24 Aug 2016, 07:09 am
Veteran Cruiser

Sorry, scoleman69, I do NOT have that part anymore. I guess I tossed it a couple of months ago along with a bunch of other things that I couldn't sell or give away. All I have left now is two windows and the window lift mechanisms. Sorry about that. I'll probably throw these items out next Tuesday. I have no use for them and they're just taking up space in my already crowded garage. Time to do some cleaning and getting rid of junk.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.