Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2016, 06:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overdrive Question

Good morning....I have an 08 Street Cruiser automatic w/ 42,000 miles. Last night I heard a whining sound on the highway. Thought about tires and bearings but then realized I was not in OD. Seems not to be shifting into OD. Any thoughts....thanks
Old 05 Sep 2016, 07:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Overdrive Question

Found this.....

PT Cruiser: isnt shifting in to overdrive..Stays..3rd gear
Gkon likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Sep 2016, 10:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

As CREWZIN's link suggests, you may want to first try a code reader and see if any trouble codes come up. You might luck out and just have a bad speed sensor which is easy to change.

However if you get no codes, it's likely time to find a good transmission shop that you trust. If the car is actually sticking in 2nd gear, you may just be going into "Limp Home Mode" which could be the result of almost any trouble at all with the transmission. If it's just overdrive, there's a number of potential issues from a simple electrical fix all the way to mechanical damage within the transmission. These problem are very hard to diagnose yourself. A good transmission shop is likely the way to go and may actually be the cheaper option if the problem is small.

PS: If you end up needing a transmission, I have one that I bought for my 2007 PT that I ended up not needing. It's still on the pallet and has 57,000 miles on it. And it's the same one with VLP used in the 2008. Let me know if the shop tells you that you need one. You can check it out here:

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/pts/5766885992.html
Gkon likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 05 Sep 2016 at 10:47 am.
Old 06 Sep 2016, 09:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If you are asking the question then you should be taking your PT Cruiser to a transmission shop capable of reading the on board computer for diagnostic codes, check the transmission operating pressures and generally give the transmission and all the sensors a once over.This should be done soon as possible and to reduce or not drive the PT cruiser any more until you can have your transmission looked at.

The problems you are saying may me PCM related which if you continue to drive can damage the transmission itself.
Gkon likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN