PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
key/fob doesn't have trunk release, what is needed for remote trunk release?

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Sep 2016, 11:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default key/fob doesn't have trunk release, what is needed for remote trunk release?

just wondering if it is as simple as getting a 3 button remote, or do I have to get another RKE or other stuff? I have a 2006, thank you

Last edited by NeonandPT; 11 Sep 2016 at 11:15 am. Reason: adding
Old 11 Sep 2016, 11:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: key/fob doesn't have trunk release, what is needed for remote trunk release?

If the key fob locks and unlocks the doors does it not unlock the trunk when you hit the unlock button a couple of times? Possibly, you have a problem with the trunk (lift gate) lock itself and not the key fob.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Sep 2016, 11:41 am
Banned

Default Re: key/fob doesn't have trunk release, what is needed for remote trunk release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonandPT View Post
just wondering if it is as simple as getting a 3 button remote, or do I have to get another RKE or other stuff? I have a 2006, thank you
Welcome to the forum

How long have you owned your PT?

There's a touchpad switch under the rear hatch handle that may be faulty, or the electric latch mechanism could also be faulty. To troubleshoot either, you'll need to remove the rear hatch panel.
Old 11 Sep 2016, 12:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Because Trump

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Nov 2016 at 12:04 pm.
Old 11 Sep 2016, 12:32 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
Do you want a hatch release or a hatch unlock?

If you run some wires, and if you get a proper key fob, and if the RKE has a functional trunk release program, then by adding a different hatch-latch or an additional solenoid motor and linkage, then yes you can do it.

See here for engineering marvels
His PT should already have an electric hatch mechanism in place, it's listed as standard equipment on all trim levels.
Old 11 Sep 2016, 03:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have the combo key/fob (key with buttons) and when I press the unlock button twice it doesn't pop the tailgate

The other issue I have is the touchpad not working half the time when I want it to and most of the time when I go to leave I have to re-latch the hatch

I'm going to be putting in a momentary switch to bypass the touchpad

also I'm going to be adding a trunk release button in the dash (well maybe, bought it on Amazon just now) don't know if it has wiring for it or not

thanks all for your help
Old 11 Sep 2016, 03:52 pm
Banned

Quote:
I have the combo key/fob (key with buttons) and when I press the unlock button twice it doesn't pop the tailgate

The other issue I have is the touchpad not working half the time when I want it to and most of the time when I go to leave I have to re-latch the hatch

I'm going to be putting in a momentary switch to bypass the touchpad

also I'm going to be adding a trunk release button in the dash (well maybe, bought it on Amazon just now) don't know if it has wiring for it or not

thanks all for your help
The rear hatch won't "pop" until you press the touchpad switch.

This is the switch that I recently installed after the touchpad switch broke on my PT:

It is a momentary contact 12VDC weatherproof from AutoZone. I also added on the inside and outside of the switch a O-ring to seal and then the fiber washer on the inside to distribute the pressure from the mounting nut, because the entire handle/cup area is plastic.

If you notice the switch is mounted slightly off-center and that's because at the top of the switch you see a post and nut. That is one of the mounts for the handle/emblem assembly. If the switch was mounted exactly on center depending on the switch you get, the switch could make contact with the stud and nut. But being slightly off-center works perfectly because from the outside, when you put your hand in the cup area like you would touch the touchpad switch, your middle finger (being longer) touches right where the switch is. The fix cost about $15 in parts and a little labor and certainly cheaper and much easier than replacing the entire handle/emblem assembly.

Last edited by rckstein; 11 Sep 2016 at 04:19 pm.
Old 11 Sep 2016, 04:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Because Trump

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Nov 2016 at 12:04 pm.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 03:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

does the key fob unlatch the hatch or simply unlock it? I'm guessing it does it after you press it twice like the older ones with the separate fob's - It doesn't do this so I'm guessing I have an issue with the system somewhere (although it has randomly unlocked the hatch, I have heard it, then went and shut it, this is without pressing the unlock button, so I'm guessing the touchpad is borked)

thanks for the help

(I'm putting over $1500 in parts to replace the entire suspension, the clutch, timing belt kit and other things to get it in great shape, might even paint it as the burgundy paint has gotten hammered by the FL sun for 10 years)
Old 13 Sep 2016, 03:33 pm
Banned

Quote:
does the key fob unlatch the hatch or simply unlock it? I'm guessing it does it after you press it twice like the older ones with the separate fob's - It doesn't do this so I'm guessing I have an issue with the system somewhere (although it has randomly unlocked the hatch, I have heard it, then went and shut it, this is without pressing the unlock button, so I'm guessing the touchpad is borked)

thanks for the help

(I'm putting over $1500 in parts to replace the entire suspension, the clutch, timing belt kit and other things to get it in great shape, might even paint it as the burgundy paint has gotten hammered by the FL sun for 10 years)
You won't hear the rear actuator unlatch until you press the touchpad switch. To troubleshoot either the latch mechanism, or touchpad switch, you will need to remove the rear hatch interior panel.