• 2 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By 07ptclassic
  • 1 Post By ptprice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Sep 2016, 08:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default common parts that fail ?

I got myself a 2005 PT, non-turbo, with only 33,000 kms (20,000 miles). I plan of keeping it at least for the next 4-5 years.

My local salvage yard has very few of the 2001-2005 models.

Before they are all crushed I was wondering what parts I should be on the look-out for that are common to fail so I can keep a small inventory in case I may need something.
Old 12 Sep 2016, 09:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: common parts that fail ?

Radiator fan and multifunction stalk but both should be bought new as you don't know what your getting from the salvage yard.
rckstein likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Sep 2016, 09:30 am
Banned

The only parts I would get from a salvage yard would be any trim or body parts (non-mechanical, non-electrical) but on a vehicle such as yours with low mileage, you probably don't need any of those pieces. Anything else has most likely served their usefulness and wouldn't be any good.
Old 12 Sep 2016, 12:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

* Radiator Fan - #1 cause of blown head gaskets in PT's.
* Multifunction Switch - 2001 thru 2005 Makes fog lights stay on all the time.
* Timing Belt - Fails around or after 100,000 miles if not changed.
* PCM - Mainly on 2001/2002 PT's and some 2005/2006 NA models.
* Cam Position Sensor - Very common on all PT's.
* Strainer blockage in power steering tank on some turbo PT's - use ATF +4 and not PS fluid. Remove strainer if continues.
* Rear bushings on front control arms - Bad design, Moog improved design is better.
* Crankshaft thrust washers - Causes front crank seal to leak on some 2005 thru 2007 NA models. Indicates catastrophic failure.
* Foam Bump Stop for rear axle - Poor material.
* Squeak in steering column - Lower boot needs lubrication. Common across Daimler Chrysler models from this period.
* Electric rear hatch latch failure - Most common in 2005 models, but happens in later years too.
* Electric truck lid failure in Convertibles - A common grounding problem.

I'll add to this list when I think of some more.

But what's funny is that after we PT enthusiasts fix all this stuff, we then forget about it and start believing the car has no common issues. But the fact is that once this stuff is fixed, the PT Cruiser is every bit as dependable as a Toyota. It's part of the magic and good value of the PT.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 12 Sep 2016 at 12:15 pm.
Old 12 Sep 2016, 12:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Todd, your list is all well and good but what parts off that list should the OP take off a totaled cruiser at a salvage yard to keep on hand. That's what he was asking. Not much on that list I would trust off one that's been written off by the insurance agency.

Another major failure on lots of PT's is the front wheel bearings. We had one of the longest threads going on people that had to change those. But again, I wouldn't take them off a used/crashed cruiser.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Sep 2016, 12:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Todd, your list is all well and good but what parts off that list should the OP take off a totaled cruiser at a salvage yard to keep on hand. That's what he was asking. Not much on that list I would trust off one that's been written off by the insurance agency.

Another major failure on lots of PT's is the front wheel bearings. We had one of the longest threads going on people that had to change those. But again, I wouldn't take them off a used/crashed cruiser.

Most of those items I mentioned where either not well designed and/or made of poor materials to begin with. Because the rear hatch switch seemed to have improved over time, I would suggest grabbing one of those if you happen to come across a 2007 or newer salvage PT.

If I was going to replace a part as a preventative measure (besides timing belt and accessories, and beyond items mentioned in the owners manual), it would be the radiator fan and cam sensor. And in those cases, I'd buy new.
ptprice likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 12 Sep 2016 at 12:59 pm.
Old 12 Sep 2016, 01:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info so far guys...yes primarily looking for parts I can salvage from the salvage yard...but any/all info is much appreciated.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 12 Sep 2016, 02:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

For the 2nd Gen PT's like yours and mine, most of the best salvage yard finds will be cosmetic. If you are interested, I'll post a list of those items. But I don't want to go further off subject unless that's the direction you want to go.
Old 12 Sep 2016, 02:05 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

It's fun to repair an MFS switch assembly that's not burned out. Usually the fog light stuff goes south with wear. If it's wear and not burn, I've got a thread in "how to" that makes it an easy fix. Sometimes even a good sniff of the switch before you salvage it will tell the tale, burn wise. It's not like sniffin' glue but that'll save you takin' it off, for not.

Happy Ptin', ptprice
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.