Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
prestone radiator sealer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Sep 2016, 02:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default prestone radiator sealer

Today I was putting some Prestone radiator sealer into my radiator and when I opened up the sealed bottle, it came out looking pretty much like the gravy from biscuits and gravy and it had the worst smell of feces I've ever smelled in my life. I've never seen anything like that come out of a sealed bottle, it got everywhere and the smell filled up my whole garage and it's sticking to my hands and won't wash off. Has anybody ever heard of anything like this before?

2001 PT Cruiser "The OG PT"
17" Incubus Valera (Peel Coat Matte Black)
Ecsta ZR 205/45/17
Rockford Fosgate PMX-2
Sundown Audio Z-12 V.4 D1 Rev 2
Cadence ZRS C2 4k Amp
Mb Quart mids and tweets powered by phoenix gold
ST Suspensions 90272 Coilovers
Magnaflow 15680 2 1/4 single cat-back exhaust
Old 13 Sep 2016, 05:51 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: prestone radiator sealer

I haven't used it in over 15 years, but I remember it looking like puke in a bottle

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 13 Sep 2016, 08:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Prestone Radiator Sealer is nothing more than a mixture of Magnesium Aluminum Silicate and Bentonite clay. Contrary to the marketing information, it's really not high-tech at all.

Once shaken up, it should likely be a light brown thick liquid. The odor should have been very mild. Magnesium Aluminum Silicate is sometime used to absorb other odors. And Bentonite clay usually smells like clay that's been heated in an oven.

What you describe sounds like yours may have had alum in it which is potassium aluminum sulfate. So it's possible Prestone either added to the formula or just messed up on a batch. It's also possible the product has become septic and was full of bacteria. But the product as it's supposed to be shouldn't stink very much.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 01:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You didn't actually put the entire bottle in your radiator, did you? If so, keep us posted. I'm curious to see how this pans out for you.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 02:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I wouldn't use this type in any system. It will eventually clogge the thermostat. There're very good products out there that won't add to your problems. The cost more but real are worth the difference. Usually Around $25 and up. One I like doesn't require you to do anything but pouring it in. Bar's Leaks HEAD GASKET FIX. The have several cheaper ones. But I don't recommend something I haven't tried or had it recommended by someone I know. Do pay the money.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Sep 2016, 02:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I wouldn't use this type in any system. It will eventually clogge the thermostat. There're very good products out there that won't add to your problems. The cost more but real are worth the difference. Usually Around $25 and up. One I like doesn't require you to do anything but pouring it in. Bar's Leaks HEAD GASKET FIX. The have several cheaper ones. But I don't recommend something I haven't tried or had it recommended by someone I know. Do pay the money.
Bar's Leak Head Gasket Fix is just a mixture of silicic acid, sodium salt and copper. I believe the silicic acid and sodium salt (table salt) is just there to help keep the copper particulate in suspension. So it should be exactly the same as those little vials of copper shavings that they used to have. They've just added the water and something to help keep it mixed up.

However, I too believe it's better than the Prestone stuff which is mainly just clay.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 03:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Bar's Leak Head Gasket Fix is just a mixture of silicic acid, sodium salt and copper. I believe the silicic acid and sodium salt (table salt) is just there to help keep the copper particulate in suspension. So it should be exactly the same as those little vials of copper shavings that they used to have. They've just added the water and something to help keep it mixed up.

However, I too believe it's better than the Prestone stuff which is mainly just clay.
The data sheet also says they are withholding ingredients and amounts for product product formula secrets. So likely more to it than just salt and copper. I have watched it stop a leak poring into the ground continuously. I was sure it couldn't do it. It did and stayed fixed. No other problems developed after that either! Blue devil and others of its kind are good also. Maybe even better. But require you flush and perform the usage and drain and allow to air dry over nite. Then refill with antifreeze.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com