• 1 Post By rckstein
  • 2 Post By VsandFords
  • 1 Post By siamese_retriever
  • 1 Post By sanatanadharma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Sep 2016, 01:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cruise Control on 2005 Turbo

The cruise control on my 2005 Turbo works intermittently (mostly NOT). When I press the cruise button on the stalk, the light comes on and stays on until I push the button again. When I try to set the speed control by pressing the stalk down, nothing happens. Occasionally, when I press the stalk down, the cc engages and holds the speed until I cancel it. (Once, after it had engaged, the cc disengaged when I went over a bump in the road!) I have replaced the fuse (#10), and I have re-seated the electrical connector on the firewall. Any other suggestions?
Old 03 May 2017, 07:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Cruise Control on 2005 Turbo

UPDATE: After following the several SUGGESTIONS to fix my temperamental cruise control with no success, I finally took it to the dealer for his opinion. Turns out that a device called a "brake switch" was defective. This is not the switch that activates the rear brake lights, since they were working fine. Replacing the switch was a $68.00 job, and now the cruise control works just fine. I hope this info might be helpful to someone else with the same problem.
Old 03 May 2017, 07:39 pm
Banned

Default Re: Cruise Control on 2005 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsfun4u View Post
UPDATE: After following the several SUGGESTIONS to fix my temperamental cruise control with no success, I finally took it to the dealer for his opinion. Turns out that a device called a "brake switch" was defective. This is not the switch that activates the rear brake lights, since they were working fine. Replacing the switch was a $68.00 job, and now the cruise control works just fine. I hope this info might be helpful to someone else with the same problem.
Glad to hear that you got your PT fixed.

Since you had it at a dealership for the work, they should have itemized the part on their invoice that was replaced. It might be helpful for others if you could post that part number.
uncomn likes this.
Old 03 May 2017, 08:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Glad you got your CC fixed, hate it took so long and had to go to the dealer to fix it. It's common knowledge that there is a switch on the brake pedal to disengage the cruise when you tap the brake. On a previous vehicle we had, the plastic button that depresses the switch got old and broke leaving a hole in the bracket so the switch would not trip. I put a short 6mm bolt and nut in place of the button.

It looks like the brake light switch does double duty, brake lights and disengage the cruise.

Mopar Part# 5083344AA

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Last edited by VsandFords; 03 May 2017 at 08:41 pm.
Old 06 May 2017, 09:02 am
Young Cruiser

Interesting! I bought my 2007 Touring about 2 years ago, and the cruise control has never worked. I wonder if that might be the issue. I will have to do some tinkering!
uncomn likes this.
Old 06 May 2017, 10:58 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default general commentary and spelling lesson

Shop manual cut and paste and edit and commentary and spelling lesson:
"BRAKE LAMP SWITCH DESCRIPTION
The brake lamp switch ... has three internal switches controlling various functions of the vehicle.
(#1...) to control operation of the vehicle’s brake lamps.
(#2...)
speed control deactivation
(#3...) the anti-lock brake system and brake sense for the brake transmission shift interlock.
"OPERATION
"When the brake pedal is pressed, the plunger ... action opens or closes the contacts of the three switches inside the brake lamp switch.

"With the brake pedal pressed down..., the (N/O) switch for (brake lights) is closed completing the circuit...(the two other N/C circuits open)
When the brake pedal is released..., the three switches assume the opposite positions."

When brake pedal is at rest, the stop-lamps' circuit is open and current doesn't flow to the bulbs.
At rest the speed-control circuit between the PCM and servo circuit is closed and cruise control works.
Pressing the brake pedal breaks the cruise circuit and also closes the stop-lamps circuit.
Of the normally-closed third circuit for brake sense, I know nothing more than the N/C switch grounds a PCM circuit and that apparently makes the PCM happy until using the brakes breaks the circuit.
rckstein likes this.
Old 06 May 2017, 04:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsfun4u View Post
I wonder if that has anything to do with the cruise on my PT. Overall it works okay, but once in a while there is a little hiccup. If on cruise and I start up an incline, it'll kick down to a lower ratio, but stay there. The car can level out and the revs will stay up, like at 3000 to 3500 rpm. I discovered I have to turn off the cruise control altogether then start over again, then it all is fine until the next time, could be the next week or two months later. So glad that you got yours figured out.
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock