Advertisements
Brake problem

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Sep 2016, 10:17 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Brake problem

Hi all:
Few weeks ago replaced my front brakes and rotors. Rusted really bad.

Installed the Auto Zone duralast gold rotors and pads with new hardware. Brakes worked fine but squealed on light braking hard braking OK. Put the red stuff on no help.

Replaced the rotors and pads under w/r. They were very nice and was there idea to replace the rotors again and put on the very best pads for only $10 more.

Squeal is gone, brakes work fine BUT, when I brake a little hard I get a chattering sound. Not getting any vibrations or pulsations just hear it a little. Pulled the wheels everything looks fine.

When I replaced the brake few weeks ago the pads were rusted in I had to pry them out. I cleaned up the the brackets real good think maybe I need new brackets???

06 PT base model std trans.

Any suggestions?

THANKS!!

Mike
Old 19 Sep 2016, 11:30 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Brake problem

If the new brake pads came with metal shims put them in if there is no shims on caliper the pad will be loose and cater or click when applying brake and will make noise over bumps. This is because the pad is bouncing around in caliper when there is no pressure from piston on pad,you will also get a clicking noise when going from ford to reverse. Also if they squeal with a cookie smooth all edges round on pads will help contaminants to slide off pad and rotor easier.
Old 19 Sep 2016, 11:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Like revo said. MKe sure you have the spring clips.
767skyking likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Sep 2016, 03:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You say you replaced the hardware, but how about the caliper guide pins? Sometimes they'll wear a flat spot on them. While I'm not really sure how to classify your noise, maybe the flat spot is causing some type of noise transfer?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 20 Sep 2016, 08:04 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks all!

Everything been checked. Seems a little better with use but still there. I guess I will run it for a while and if it continues change the brackets (cheep enough) may have taken too much off when cleaning the rust.

Mike
Old 20 Sep 2016, 10:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb2kki View Post
Thanks all!

Everything been checked. Seems a little better with use but still there. I guess I will run it for a while and if it continues change the brackets (cheep enough) may have taken too much off when cleaning the rust.

Mike
As already mentioned, there are little metal pieces that tabs on the pads sit on. If you did install these, make sure you didn't install them upside down. I recently did the front brakes on my 2007 Vert. And I had to figure out which way the little metal pieces went.

Old 20 Sep 2016, 11:33 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Put me in the little fiddly metal clips camp. My experiance with the caliper slider bolts is there is no noise?? They either slide or they don't and if one does not slide ... the car will dart quite "violently" towards the side with a problem??

Paid a shop to do the front brakes on my little Toyota Mini truck and the first time I used the brakes ... the thing almost put me in the freaking ditch!!! I fixed it went straight to passenger side caliper pulled it off and no lube on the slider??? Apparently "test driving" after repairs ... seems to be a lost art to a lot of shops these days??? At anyrate ... no "noise" involved.

It sounds like you did get the big part of the job done correctly. But the little stuff ... is most likely the source of your problem?? I think there is also an anti Rattle Pad on the back of the outside pad??

At anyrate "Rockauto" has those little clips just change them out use "Disc Brake Quite" where needed and I would also replace the Slider Pin Parts with "Dorman" parts ... the stock Slider Pin stuff ... seemed like it was pretty fragile to me?? Works fine but it I did not like the "feel of that hardware."
Old 21 Sep 2016, 09:19 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks guys but all good.

I will say the problem seems to be getting better by itself. Seems a lot quieter now will let it brake in (no pun) see what happens.

The new pads are nice have like a rubber coating on the shims at that sure got rid of the squeal for sure.

Mike
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 21 Sep 2016, 02:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

UP North--in the rust belt, I've been greasing the insides of the brake pistons and the backs of the brake pads for several years since I got a look at Some MB vehicles which were greased too.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 21 Sep 2016, 08:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Sounds like it's working out?? May have just been dirt?? We had a rock or something get trapped in the passenger front rotor and destroyed it!??

I have never had that happen before?? Couldn't hurt to unleash a can of "Brake Clean" on the rotors also.