Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Hugh_Jorgan
  • 2 Post By Hugh_Jorgan
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Sep 2016, 05:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up P0172 Fixed - In my case.

I've been battling this code since almost day one, I bought this cruiser a bit over a year ago. And within a month of ownership, this code reared it's ugly head. First thing I did was replace the upstream O2 Sensor, That wasn't it. Next I replaced all the fuel injectors (it needed them) but, Nope, that wasn't it either. So after reading several post's on here about code P0172, I removed the intake Manifold and Throttle body. Cleaned the hell out of them, they were filthy. I also cleaned what I thought was the MAP Sensor, turns out it was the intake temperature Sensor (Oops). Well anyway, none of that worked either. After a little more research I was able to locate and remove the MAP Sensor. It too was filthy, I cleaned it up inside and out with carb and choke cleaner and a couple of Q-Tips. Before I put it back in I took a look at the "O-Ring" on the end of it. It looked OK but I guessed it was and OEM Part (15+ years old) so I replaced that with an O-Ring I picked up at the hardware store. Put it back in, cleared the code and Viola!, that was it! The error is gone and hasn't come back. It would come back within 10 to 30 miles before. Well I've put a couple hundred on it since, and not One sign of that error, or any other. So for all you guys / gals out there, stop pulling your hair out and try this. If the code does come back, but it takes longer, chances are its the MAP Sensor. Good Luck, And Keep On Cruizin'.

Last edited by Hugh_Jorgan; 19 Sep 2016 at 05:18 pm.
Old 13 Nov 2016, 06:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: P0172 Fixed - In my case.

Well, it failed, Again. This time I went to Rock Auto.com and purchased a new MAP Sensor. About a week after I replaced it, the damn engine lite came on again. Not wanting to see that P0172 error again, I postponed retrieving the code. When I finally did look at the error, it wasn't a P0172, it was a P0401 - EGR insufficient flow. Well, back to rock auto. I got the new EGR valve with calibrated Actuator. Installed the part, cleared the error, and so far so good, Petey's running great, and I have no complaints. Fingers crossed, here's to hoping that that damn engine light stays off.

Wish Me luck.
Old 13 Nov 2016, 07:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P0172 Fixed - In my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh_Jorgan View Post
Well, it failed, Again. This time I went to Rock Auto.com and purchased a new MAP Sensor. About a week after I replaced it, the damn engine lite came on again. Not wanting to see that P0172 error again, I postponed retrieving the code. When I finally did look at the error, it wasn't a P0172, it was a P0401 - EGR insufficient flow. Well, back to rock auto. I got the new EGR valve with calibrated Actuator. Installed the part, cleared the error, and so far so good, Petey's running great, and I have no complaints. Fingers crossed, here's to hoping that that damn engine light stays off.

Wish Me luck.
P0172 - Fuel System Rich

Possible Causes:

1. Base engine fault - cam timing incorrect, oil level too high
2. EVAP vapor recovery system failure
3. Fuel control Sensor is out of calibration - ECT, IAT or MAP
4. Fuel delivery component fault - injector leak, high fuel pressure
5. O2 element is contaminated, deteriorated or it has failed
6. O2 heater is damaged or it has failed
rockandroller likes this.