PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need help with diagnostics.

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Sep 2016, 10:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need help with diagnostics.

I drive a 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring Edition with a 2.4 Liter engine non-turbo model. Over the past several months the check engine light will appear, disappear, and reappear stating that the CAM sensor is confirmed to be defective. I replaced it and cleared the code yet it still reappears from time to time.

Sometimes it will not effect the driving at all. Other times, if I try to floor it or even go above 2000 RPMs, the engine wants to kill. I was driving it over the weekend and it killed on me twice when I was trying to park the car, but drove home just fine (50 miles from home). Since it's not the CAM sensor and the MAP sensor is clean, does this mean it could be the PCM or would it be something else?

She only has 84000 miles.
Old 21 Sep 2016, 10:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need help with diagnostics.

Welcome to the forum

Some things that may help for starters?

PT problems read this FIRST

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...c-car-guy.html

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 21 Sep 2016, 11:02 am
Banned

Welcome to the forum

Did you install an OEM or after-market sensor? Did you replace just the sensor or also the target magnet?
Old 21 Sep 2016, 11:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrehebert25 View Post
I drive a 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring Edition with a 2.4 Liter engine non-turbo model. Over the past several months the check engine light will appear, disappear, and reappear stating that the CAM sensor is confirmed to be defective. I replaced it and cleared the code yet it still reappears from time to time.

Sometimes it will not effect the driving at all. Other times, if I try to floor it or even go above 2000 RPMs, the engine wants to kill. I was driving it over the weekend and it killed on me twice when I was trying to park the car, but drove home just fine (50 miles from home). Since it's not the CAM sensor and the MAP sensor is clean, does this mean it could be the PCM or would it be something else?

So that you dont start off on a wild goose chase....

A check engine light does NOT confirm any problem only indicating a problem area to be checked.

Parts quality or origin of manufacture has very little in the end to do with most sensors issues.

The appearing and re-appearing of any DTC will not nessisariy be an indicator of a failing PCM. In the case you describe so far I would say NOT.

I would suggest to scan the diagnostic connector with a scan tool able to access the readiness file and see what is in fault.

You may also consider the re installation of the original replaced sensor or at least going back and carefully check the condition of the electrical connector.

The description of engine power loss would mean that there are more DTC's that you have not found. If you are using any method then with a scan tool at the diagnostic connector that I suggest to recheck using scan tool.
I highly recommend NOT to change any sensors or remove them unless you can confirm by way of DCT clearing and reset/check that there may be an issue. You could add to a problem that does not exists by randomly guessing at sensors and replacing them.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 21 Sep 2016, 12:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
So that you dont start off on a wild goose chase....

A check engine light does NOT confirm any problem only indicating a problem area to be checked.

Parts quality or origin of manufacture has very little in the end to do with most sensors issues.

The appearing and re-appearing of any DTC will not nessisariy be an indicator of a failing PCM. In the case you describe so far I would say NOT.

I would suggest to scan the diagnostic connector with a scan tool able to access the readiness file and see what is in fault.

You may also consider the re installation of the original replaced sensor or at least going back and carefully check the condition of the electrical connector.

The description of engine power loss would mean that there are more DTC's that you have not found. If you are using any method then with a scan tool at the diagnostic connector that I suggest to recheck using scan tool.
I highly recommend NOT to change any sensors or remove them unless you can confirm by way of DCT clearing and reset/check that there may be an issue. You could add to a problem that does not exists by randomly guessing at sensors and replacing them.
+1

Can you also post what the actual PXXX camshaft code was that was triggered?

If you don't have your own OBDII Scan Tool I would recommend you do. You want to make sure as NitroPT posted to make sure you have all the DTC's that are involved in your issue. You need this tool to reset the DTC's to make sure you have the correct engine trouble codes coming up.

As NitroPT posted the engine trouble codes are only a starting point and being on this forum really helps as we can give you good advice on finding the problem.

Harbor Freight has some reasonable OBDII Scan Tools
Search results for: 'OBDII Scan Tool'

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 21 Sep 2016 at 12:18 pm.
Old 21 Sep 2016, 12:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrehebert25 View Post

The power loss and sporadic engine cut-outs ares some of what I experienced when the cam sensor failed on my 2005 GT.

If me, I would first remove clean and reinstall the sensor as already suggested. I would also inspect the wiring for worn or broken insulation. I may pull the middle two plugs on the PCM and check for oil pushed up through the harness by a leaking oil pressure sensor. The oil doesn't usually cause a fault be can cause wiring to degrade and/or hold dirt that can cause a fault. I would then use my code reader to clear the code and also check the readiness list if your scanner does that. My new throw-away $18 reader does this on a whole list of sensors. Very cool.

If no joy, I would replace the cam sensor with an OEM Mopar sensor. There are many reports of aftermarket sensors causing problems on PT's similar to what you are experiencing. And this is the next variable I would control. And the Mopar sensor is usually not that much more expensive than most name brand aftermarket versions.

While the sensor is off, inspection the pilot magnet behind it. There's reports of potential magnet failure, but mainly on 2001/2002 PT's. Other magnet failures seem to be related to over tightening the bolt that holds it on and warping or cracking the magnet. Or the magnet might just be loose.

Try this and the other things already suggested and then let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 21 Sep 2016 at 12:24 pm.
Old 21 Sep 2016, 01:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

More Diagnostically sound information based on practical hands on experience as well talking with other service shops, mechanic's and Diagnostic Technicians.

Over the years we have often read on the internet that some sensors replaced mostly by DIY cured the problem. However in several shops I have talked to as well the one I occasionally work out of it seems that there are almost no instances that anyone changing a sensor tested the sensor itself or after replacing the sensors with a new one for the sake of experimenting reinstalled the old sensor? Even on ALL Data there are sub notes to use a known working sensors to test the connection and circuit before actually replacing the sensor with a new one. This is to ensure that the shop is not replacing parts that may in fact be fine.

I can not argue that for many DIY and some shops that are not experienced in Diagnostic methods for computer controlled vehicles replacing by way of guessing a sensor is failed is easier for many then actual testing the individual part. The less experienced shop can always claim that everyone new the DTC indicated a possible trouble with the sensor thus justifying the replacement of a new one.

It has been my experience that in almost every case the act of simply cleaning the area and the connector and sensor and reinstalling everything will resolve a DTC for that suspected sensor problem.

There has NEVER been any real empirical information or data in the last 10 years to prove the internet reports the use of none OEM quality branded electrical parts are inferior or will fail any sooner then OEM electrical parts.

See many articles published in COUTERMAN Magazine about this information.
Also contacting manufactures of many aftermarket electrical parts can shed more information about this subject.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 21 Sep 2016, 01:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have to agree with you Lynn. I have had some funky experience with one particular pt. had a grey aftermarket that pop a code regularly. Afte PCM swap for other problems. I installed the gray one to see what would happen. Worked great for a few thousand miles. So I figured it was bad and after a few day I put it back again. Worked great and was still fine when it finally left me. The funny thing was I tried plugins and unplugging while on the side of the road. That didn't help. Always worked when swapping sensors back and forth when it acted up. Had to be something to do with plug or wires to it.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Sep 2016, 02:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I have to agree with you Lynn. I have had some funky experience with one particular pt. had a grey aftermarket that pop a code regularly. Afte PCM swap for other problems. I installed the gray one to see what would happen. Worked great for a few thousand miles. So I figured it was bad and after a few day I put it back again. Worked great and was still fine when it finally left me. The funny thing was I tried plugins and unplugging while on the side of the road. That didn't help. Always worked when swapping sensors back and forth when it acted up. Had to be something to do with plug or wires to it.
This is why if I replace any sensors I keep the old ones in my spare parts box in case I misdiagnose the root cause of the problem and I would have a spare one in case I needed it on the side of the road. I have only replaced one sensor in both PT Cruisers and they both now have 100,000 miles on them. I have learned to check the wire and contacts going to the sensors before checking the sensors itself.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 21 Sep 2016 at 02:39 pm.
Old 21 Sep 2016, 02:41 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
+1

Can you also post what the actual PXXX camshaft code was that was triggered?

If you don't have your own OBDII Scan Tool I would recommend you do. You want to make sure as NitroPT posted to make sure you have all the DTC's that are involved in your issue. You need this tool to reset the DTC's to make sure you have the correct engine trouble codes coming up.

As NitroPT posted the engine trouble codes are only a starting point and being on this forum really helps as we can give you good advice on finding the problem.

Harbor Freight has some reasonable OBDII Scan Tools
Search results for: 'OBDII Scan Tool'
What else can I say.... Hmm nothing, You and Lynn covered every first step in diagnostics. (I hate just plugging parts in!)