PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 PT Cruiser for Sale - Should I buy?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Sep 2016, 05:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2005 PT Cruiser for Sale - Should I buy?

Car has 50,000 miles on it.

Head Gasket has been replaced and is showing a code for Evap system of some kind (according to the dealer).

He says he changed the head gasket himself (since he bought the car with 43,000 miles on it) and he would fix any problems with the check engine light if I am serious about buying it.

The right side control arm bushing has gone bad and would need replacing.

It's dark blue, Automatic, some upstate NY rust on the undercarriage. The right rear fender has a good rust spot starting. Interior looks in good shape.

He wants $3995 for it.

My biggest concerns are the Evap Code and the Head gasket has already been replaced.

What would cause a head gasket to go bad that soon and should I even consider buying the thing since it's already blown a head gasket at some point in its life?
Old 22 Sep 2016, 07:08 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 PT Cruiser for Sale - Should I buy?

My 2006 had a blown head gasket when I bought it, had like 60k on it. Did the gasket & timing, water pump at the same time.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 22 Sep 2016, 07:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
My 2006 had a blown head gasket when I bought it, had like 60k on it. Did the gasket & timing, water pump at the same time.
How many miles do you have on it now?
Old 22 Sep 2016, 07:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
So basically you're saying it was fine once you replaced it?

My main concern is that maybe the engine was overheated or has an overheating problem and it like warped something or whatnot. Do these head gaskets just go bad on their own sometimes?
Old 22 Sep 2016, 07:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
How many miles do you have on it now?
Just under 74k, I've only had it 2 years.
Fk5 likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 22 Sep 2016, 07:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would think that if you got a 90-day or longer warranty on it, you'd be fine - and be sure to do some extensive stop-and-go driving in those 90 days and watch for issues....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Sep 2016, 08:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingMD View Post
Car has 50,000 miles on it.

Head Gasket has been replaced and is showing a code for Evap system of some kind (according to the dealer).

He says he changed the head gasket himself (since he bought the car with 43,000 miles on it) and he would fix any problems with the check engine light if I am serious about buying it.

The right side control arm bushing has gone bad and would need replacing.

It's dark blue, Automatic, some upstate NY rust on the undercarriage. The right rear fender has a good rust spot starting. Interior looks in good shape.

He wants $3995 for it.

My biggest concerns are the Evap Code and the Head gasket has already been replaced.

What would cause a head gasket to go bad that soon and should I even consider buying the thing since it's already blown a head gasket at some point in its life?

To me, that sounds WAY too expensive for this car. I don't know what they bring in New York, but here, that car in perfect working order would likely bring around $3,000 if mechanically perfect with no rust. Also, when you buy a car with a major past repair, you may find yourself paying for the sins of the former owner and/or his mechanic. My own PT has had the head gasket replaced, but I knew that going in, thoroughly check out the engine and knew I could replace the entire engine if needed based on what I paid for the car. To me, this past repair negates the low mileage. Also, it's strange that a PT with 50K on it already has the worn out control arms.

It might be a great car, but I'd pass unless I got it really cheap.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 22 Sep 2016 at 08:08 pm.
Old 22 Sep 2016, 09:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
To me, that sounds WAY too expensive for this car. I don't know what they bring in New York, but here, that car in perfect working order would likely bring around $3,000 if mechanically perfect with no rust. Also, when you buy a car with a major past repair, you may find yourself paying for the sins of the former owner and/or his mechanic. My own PT has had the head gasket replaced, but I knew that going in, thoroughly check out the engine and knew I could replace the entire engine if needed based on what I paid for the car. To me, this past repair negates the low mileage. Also, it's strange that a PT with 50K on it already has the worn out control arms.

It might be a great car, but I'd pass unless I got it really cheap.
Yeah, unfortunately I tend to agree with you more than not.

I just missed a Cruiser in perfect condition (from Pennsylvania without a spot of rust w/107,000 miles - asking $3000) I pulled in to look at it and there was somebody taking it for a test drive right at that instant.

When the guy said he would want $3995 for this PT with the rust I kind of died a little inside as I was hoping he'd say something more like $2500 or $3000. I'm supposed to go back tomorrow and test drive it.

Unfortunately the salt they put on the roads up here absolutely destroys everything so there is a shortage of anything decent in the lower price ranges because a lot of the cars have disintegrated due to rust over the years and I feel like this drives up the prices of older cars that are still in somewhat not horrible shape.
Old 22 Sep 2016, 10:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm from buffalo so I know about salt and snow but if you keep looking you will find one with no rust. I brought mine for 4 grand with 79000 with no rust and she's a turbo. I would offer him 2400 cash on the spot due to body and motor repair. The seller sees low millage and thinks that worth the price, but other factors really dictate what the price is blue book has that cost for perfect body low milage and no major repairs done to it like I said 2400 cash on the spot or walk. Besides you want a fi motor not na motor spooling is the only way to drive. Happy cruising
Old 23 Sep 2016, 01:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by revo View Post
Besides you want a fi motor not na motor spooling is the only way to drive. Happy cruising
What exactly are you saying? Get a turbo?