PT Cruiser Forum

PT Cruiser Forum (http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/)
-   General PT Cruiser Discussions (http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/general-pt-cruiser-discussions/)
-   -   Overheating like so many others! (http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/general-pt-cruiser-discussions/61283-overheating-like-so-many-others.html)

shamilton84 04 Oct 2016 10:39 am

Overheating like so many others!
 
Hi all! This may be long so please bear with me. I have a 2007 Cruiser that's driving me crazy. It started overheating and the AC would blow hot. I replaced the radiator fan and thermostat because those were the cheapest and easiest fixes. It worked for 3 months then stopped. So I figured the fan was crap and got another replacement. This time, it died the same day. So I don't know if I'm just having the worst luck with fans or if I need to delve deeper. The symptoms are as follows: the check engine light came on for a couple days this time but has since gone out, it idles rough if I turn on the air and blows hot, the rpms drop significantly when the fan tries to kick on and of course the temp gauge keeps climbing if I'm not moving. I've read so many other threads and nothing seems to match my stupid car so I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. Thanks for any help!

JoeX 04 Oct 2016 12:20 pm

Re: Overheating like so many others!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamilton84 (Post 627104)
Hi all! This may be long so please bear with me. I have a 2007 Cruiser that's driving me crazy. It started overheating and the AC would blow hot. I replaced the radiator fan and thermostat because those were the cheapest and easiest fixes. It worked for 3 months then stopped. So I figured the fan was crap and got another replacement. This time, it died the same day. So I don't know if I'm just having the worst luck with fans or if I need to delve deeper. The symptoms are as follows: the check engine light came on for a couple days this time but has since gone out, it idles rough if I turn on the air and blows hot, the rpms drop significantly when the fan tries to kick on and of course the temp gauge keeps climbing if I'm not moving. I've read so many other threads and nothing seems to match my stupid car so I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. Thanks for any help!

Check the wiring harness connector to the fans for damage inside the connector, also check for voltage when the fan should be on.
If you over heat the engine you will have more problems than you want to deal with.

ptcruisersteve 04 Oct 2016 04:41 pm

Re: Overheating like so many others!
 
On one of the new radiator fans I got from RockAuto I found one of the pins in the radiator fan plug much deeper than the other pins. Check the radiator fan plug as JoeX posted. Post what you find out.

shamilton84 06 Oct 2016 10:50 am

Re: Overheating like so many others!
 
I checked the harness and didn't see any defects. I did look at my coolant again and the reservoir was empty so I added some. I haven't been able to test my car however because my garage door is broken and I can't lift it by myself lol. Once I'm able to run it, I'll post another update, hopefully it's just the coolant this time (and then I'll feel like an idiot for not checking the obvious first lmao).

ptcruisersteve 06 Oct 2016 11:16 am

Re: Overheating like so many others!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamilton84 (Post 627316)
I checked the harness and didn't see any defects. I did look at my coolant again and the reservoir was empty so I added some. I haven't been able to test my car however because my garage door is broken and I can't lift it by myself lol. Once I'm able to run it, I'll post another update, hopefully it's just the coolant this time (and then I'll feel like an idiot for not checking the obvious first lmao).

Did you check the radiator fan plug?

WrenchnIswhatIdo 06 Oct 2016 02:17 pm

Re: Overheating like so many others!
 
I was going another direction...v../\..

I just got a car that was over heating & loosing water...
What do you do when you car start using water.?
thats right Stop Leak.!..(what a mess)
Found out they popped head gasket.!

futher investigation
under heavy demands the lower radiator hose was week getting sucked flat starving the engine of coolant overheating ....No Bueno
.
.

ptcruisersteve 06 Oct 2016 02:39 pm

Re: Overheating like so many others!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WrenchnIswhatIdo (Post 627342)
I was going another direction...v../\..

I just got a car that was over heating & loosing water...
What do you do when you car start using water.?
thats right Stop Leak.!..(what a mess)
Found out they popped head gasket.!

futher investigation
under heavy demands the lower radiator hose was week getting sucked flat starving the engine of coolant overheating ....No Bueno
.
.

With my friends PT Cruisers if I get any indication of overheating at all first thing I do is check the radiator fan. Always check the root cause of the problem first. Never had my PT Cruisers overheat. Most of the time it always trigger the P0480 or P0481 code and I just replace the radiator fan immediately after checking the wiring.

It's always a good idea to replace the radiator hoses when you change the engine coolant.

chuzz 06 Oct 2016 02:53 pm

Re: Overheating like so many others!
 
Have you checked or replaced the coolant temperature sensor?

Chip18sw 07 Oct 2016 01:48 am

Re: Overheating like so many others!
 
There is a "small chance" that it could be an air bubble in the system?? In any case renting a Radiator Pressure Tester from an Auto Store could not hurt. It might possibly be a split seam in the radiator, it would open p nder pressure and disappear when the motor cools down.

shamilton84 29 Oct 2016 12:05 pm

Re: Overheating like so many others!
 
Sorry for taking so long to reply to this and I appreciate all the tips. Here is where I'm at now. Water didn't help unfortunately. My engine light came on and I finally went to AutoZone to pull my codes. I got P0480 and P0481. I'm confused what these are. It gives the description "Low speed fan relay control circuit" and "fan 2 control circuit" respectively. Where is the relay control circuit? And why would it throw a code for fan 2 when there is only one fan? Any more help on this old thread would be appreciated! :bang-wall:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 am.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243