Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rough idle P0403

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Oct 2016, 09:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rough idle P0403

I have had nothing but problems since I bought this 2002. I drive it and deal with the rough idle, get tired of it andtry to find someone with the same problem. I get close but so far not exact. To make a long story short, I have it down to one code, P0403, I know its not the EGR or it solenoid, cam sensor, MAP, AAT, vaccum leak, plugs, wires, fuel or PCM. Its the wires between the EGR and PCM. My question is are there any components between the two? Can the wires be cut and replaced to skip the rest of the harness to eliminate the problem? All I have is a cell phone so I can't blow up diagrams without pixlation ruining the picture. And no, I'm not going to try it before getting info. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07 Oct 2016, 12:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Rough idle P0403

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwhill2010 View Post
I have it down to one code, P0403, I know its Its the wires between the EGR and PCM. My question is are there any components between the two? Can the wires be cut and replaced to skip the rest of the harness to eliminate the problem?
How can you be sure it is the wires if you don't know were the wires Go specifically.?
Quote:
All I have is a cell phone so I can't blow up diagrams without pixlation ruining the picture. And no, I'm not going to try it before getting info. Any help would be appreciated.
You have access to a Library.?
They have computers there for use to the public

were I live Washington State
Even the homeless have access to computers....
some even have there own laptops...No joke free wifi everywere
On the buses
Starbux,Walmarf
Quote:
All I have is a cell phone so I can't blow up diagrams without pixlation
you must know somebody that has a computer
Relatives......offspring.?
maybe a Coworker.?
Neighbor.?
Old 07 Oct 2016, 02:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't go cutting any wires just yet. Since you have an 02 model, it MIGHT be the wiring harness under the engine that runs to the crank sensor. It's held on by a cheap plastic clip that gets brittle and breaks. This lets the harness drop down far enough to make contact with the passenger side axle and rub the insulation off the wires and short them out. Check that first. And the pins and plugs one your PCM wiring harness should be checked next. Sometimes (I don't know how) one or more of the pins have been known to recess slightly and lose contact in the plug. Take a good look and make sure all are the same length on both the male and female connection.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 30 Oct 2016, 01:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Finally got around to checking for frayed wires, nothing hanging where it shouldn't be. I disconnected the PCM and checked all of the pins. They all looked good. There were certain pins longer than others but they are meant to be that way. The different pins are a different metal. I haven't cut up the wire harness, just looking for more suggestions.
Old 30 Oct 2016, 01:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

P0403 - EGR Solenoid Circuit:

Possible Causes:

1. EGR solenoid ground circuit is open
2. EGR solenoid control circuit is open or shorted to ground
3. EGR solenoid power circuit is open
4. EGR solenoid is damaged or has failed
5. PCM has failed

It seems its common for the diaphragm to rupture in the solenoid. How did you test the solenoid to see if it's working properly?
Old 01 Nov 2016, 02:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The EGR is new, it came with a new solenoid. I can start the engine and using a long vaccum hose going to the EGR (not through the solenoid), I am able to suck on the hose creating vaccum and the engine runs smoothe. Yes, I know if I run that line to constant vaccum there is no way the EGR will open and close as the PCM tells it to. This is why I asked if the wires to the EGR went straight to the PCM. I was hoping to avoid tearing into the harness and going directly from A to B.
Old 01 Nov 2016, 03:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Okay,

So you have a new EGR valve and a new transducer solenoid? And your PT is 2001 or 2002 model? P0403 codes on PT Cruiser are often a burned wire based on the reports on this and other forums. I believe the positive lead to the solenoid should have a constant +12 volts when the car is running. The negative lead is the duty wire and goes from 0 to a negative -12 volts. You should be able to test this with a multi-meter.

What sometimes happens is that one of these lead gets hot and burns into. This may be caused by a bad solenoid or poor connection. And the break may not even be visible. It appears there's no fuse or relay in this circuit at all. It's just PCM to solenoid.

If I had no voltage in one or both these leads, I'd trace them back as far as a I could feeling for soft places in the wires. When I got far enough back, I'd test for voltage again at those points on the leads. If I have voltage at those points, I'd replace the wire downstream to the solenoid.

Also, on the 2001/2002 Pre-NGC (JTEC) PCM, I believe the EGR lead is on Pin #40 on the C2 PCM plug. The color may be GY/Y. I suspect this is the 0 to negative -12 lead, but I don't know that for sure. The positive constant +12 volt lead may come from the ignition.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 01 Nov 2016 at 03:51 pm.
Old 05 Nov 2016, 01:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

One more bit of info. I some how messed up the threads to the two bolts going down into the engine mount plate. Broke a bolt in one, stripped threads in the other. Went to parts yard ang got another for $15, while there, I pulled the timing cover, put a paint mark on each gear/tooth of the belt, took it home, matched and marked tooth for tooth, installed it, no change. The junk yard belt was in very good shape, not much wear and crank bolt still had factory paint mark on it. Now marking the belt to use as a guide positively works because I did it to a neon last summer. I even shut the hood before starting it when i was done. I have replaced all these parts, set the timing correctly and it still runs like doo-doo.
Old 05 Nov 2016, 11:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

And I am back again with another update. I got tired of working with that timing belt and was confident it was right. Got it all put back, and started it up. At first it seemed to run just as bad as before, then it smoothed out a little. The first drive was a tremendous difference! I didn't have to rev up the engine as I used to. It now has power. It used to idle so rough the motor mounts would sqeak and the whole car vibrated. Slowly moving in a parking lot I took my feet off the pedals, it idled 1st gear smoothly without jerking me out of the car. I AM SO FREAKING HAPPY! Still a little rough idle at 850-900 rpm and P0403. Some time this week I'll pull the EGR and inspect the port to check for carbon build up. I want to enjoy the way it drives better.