PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
More cooling issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Oct 2016, 01:44 am
Young Cruiser

Default More cooling issues

Here's something I don't get

Whenever i start out, when the car gets to operating temp (just a smidge under half on the water temp guage) the FIRST time i start the car from sitting overnight or a really long time, it will go hotter than half way, about a 1/4 mark over half. Then it cools down to just under the half again and from then on it's fine.

It ONLY heats up like that when its started after sitting for several hours. if I start and go many times during the rest of that day it doesnt' happen again.

is that normal with this car?

FYI 2007 pt cruiser

Last edited by story97; 10 Oct 2016 at 03:20 am.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 09:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: More cooling issues

No, its not normal.

Is your engine light on? If so what are the engine trouble codes?

Does your high speed radiator fan come on when it starts to go towards 3/4 on the engine temperature?

After letting it sit for hours try starting the engine, turn on the A/C and see if the radiator fan comes on automatically.

Is your coolant level all the way to the top when engine is cold? Take the radiator cap off and see if it filled up to the top.

Are you loosing coolant? Coolant in the reservoir tank going down?

If all of the above is good check your radiator cap.

Your thermostat might be sticking when cold but that would be the last thing I would check.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 10 Oct 2016 at 09:53 am.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 10:05 am
Fanatic Cruiser

In addition ... rent a "Radiator Test Kit" from an Auto Store. You could have an "air pocket" in the system or a cracked seam in the radiator?? You can test the Radiator cap also if the gasket is on the cap is worn?? It would leak pressure, away.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 10:48 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
No, its not normal.

Is your engine light on? If so what are the engine trouble codes?

Does your high speed radiator fan come on when it starts to go towards 3/4 on the engine temperature?

After letting it sit for hours try starting the engine, turn on the A/C and see if the radiator fan comes on automatically.

Is your coolant level all the way to the top when engine is cold? Take the radiator cap off and see if it filled up to the top.

Are you loosing coolant? Coolant in the reservoir tank going down?

If all of the above is good check your radiator cap.

Your thermostat might be sticking when cold but that would be the last thing I would check.
Thanks for the reply.

No engine light

Yes I tested the fan, it comes on correctly.

Last night I flushed the radiator. I found it had air in the system. I didn't realize that's what I was hearing was bubbles behind the guage cluster.

I burped it and loaded it back up. it still did the slight over heat thing (but not overheating) but came down to normal temps and stayed. even running it idle for 45 minutes.

I had to use distilled water, I'll go get coolant today. but i don't know what else I could do but replace the thermostat. thankfully it's extremely easy to do on these cars so i think i'll try it.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 10:49 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18sw View Post
In addition ... rent a "Radiator Test Kit" from an Auto Store. You could have an "air pocket" in the system or a cracked seam in the radiator?? You can test the Radiator cap also if the gasket is on the cap is worn?? It would leak pressure, away.
didn't know I could rent one. there's an autozone 2 miles from me. I'll go there today. thank you!
Old 10 Oct 2016, 11:19 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by story97 View Post
didn't know I could rent one. there's an autozone 2 miles from me. I'll go there today. thank you!
Yes you pay for it outright and when your done you bring it back ... undamaged, and they issue you a refund.

is the Thermostat easy to change?? I've not looked myself ... on these cars ... I just got use to seeing the first step for "nearly anything" as requiring "Jack Stands???"
Old 10 Oct 2016, 11:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by story97 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

No engine light

Yes I tested the fan, it comes on correctly.

Last night I flushed the radiator. I found it had air in the system. I didn't realize that's what I was hearing was bubbles behind the guage cluster.

I burped it and loaded it back up. it still did the slight over heat thing (but not overheating) but came down to normal temps and stayed. even running it idle for 45 minutes.

I had to use distilled water, I'll go get coolant today. but i don't know what else I could do but replace the thermostat. thankfully it's extremely easy to do on these cars so i think i'll try it.
Before you look at the thermostat you need to find out why you are getting air in the coolant system. Check the little hose between the radiator cap and the coolant reservoir tank. The little hose tends to crack or start leaking and it will allow air to get into the coolant system. if that is okay then you need to have a coolant engine compression test done to see if you have a leak in the coolant system. This is extremely important to make sure you have a sealed coolant system.

How many miles on the PT Cruiser?

There is a possibility of a slow leaking head gasket but we need to eliminate every other possibility.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 11:42 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Before you look at the thermostat you need to find out why you are getting air in the coolant system. Check the little hose between the radiator cap and the coolant reservoir tank. The little hose tends to crack or start leaking and it will allow air to get into the coolant system. if that is okay then you need to have a coolant engine compression test done to see if you have a leak in the coolant system. This is extremely important to make sure you have a sealed coolant system.

How many miles on the PT Cruiser?

There is a possibility of a slow leaking head gasket but we need to eliminate every other possibility.
i had the system pressure checked about 6 months ago when i had the radiator fan replaced. I don't THINK that's it, course that's a guess. does that seem long enough to do it again?

The car has about 103,000 miles. it's been well cared for and the motor hasn't given us a problem until the radiator fan went out back then.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 11:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Make sure your radiator cap is good too. 18 pound cap is what I have on mine. I was getting bubbles in the overflow and that cured mine.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 01:42 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Make sure your radiator cap is good too. 18 pound cap is what I have on mine. I was getting bubbles in the overflow and that cured mine.
good point. that one I'm sure of. i have a new one on there.

I think I'm going to run it for a bit and see how it does. if it gives me any trouble I'll replace the thermostat. I was going to do it anyway, but i might hold off unless this doesn't come in line.

does anyway know the capacity of the cooling system? i need to mix about 50/50 and i need to know how much to get. i THINK it's 7.2 which means 2 gallon should do it.

Last edited by story97; 10 Oct 2016 at 01:44 pm.