PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
rear deck light

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Oct 2016, 09:53 am
Young Cruiser

Default rear deck light

Maybe mine has always been broken, I don't know. I didn't buy it new.

I noticed it was out so i ordered replacement bulbs. i installed them, no problem. But i now notice that my entire rear cargo area lights up when i hit the brakes. is this normal?
Old 12 Oct 2016, 02:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: rear deck light

By "rear deck light" do you mean the 3rd high mounted brake light? If so, you might be missing the interior cover that would stop the glare of the light from flooding the interior.
Old 12 Oct 2016, 02:33 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
By "rear deck light" do you mean the 3rd high mounted brake light? If so, you might be missing the interior cover that would stop the glare of the light from flooding the interior.
yes the third brake light

i'll take a picture when it gets dark, but i watched a video after i replaced them and it sure looked like i had everythign they did. it's bizarre.

I'll posdt it tonight.

it's distracting because it lights up the whole rear view mirror., i just wanted to tweak the little things that weren't working and make them right. didn't expect that

FYI take a look at this. it shows only that one plastic piece. that's what I have. i wonder if I have that black rubber trim on it. i'll have to look

https://howtune.com/articles/262-rep...ler-pt-cruiser

EDIT: i looked. i do have it. but look at the gap it leaves. All 5 clips ARE attached too. I took it off, lined them back up and verified they're all locked in. but there's a huge gap and that's what causes it

Last edited by story97; 12 Oct 2016 at 02:42 pm.
Old 12 Oct 2016, 03:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hard to see it the pic except that it DOES look like it's not fitting in the right place, but if you say there's a large gap, that's the problem. The cover should fit tight against the window when pushed in so the clips "snap" into place. Maybe the base (where the bulbs are, isn't quit right and sticking up making it hard for the cover to fit tight against the window. Any chance there's another PT around that you can look at to see how that fits together?
Old 12 Oct 2016, 03:43 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Hard to see it the pic but if you say there's a large gap, that's the problem. The cover should fit tight against the window when pushed in so the clips "snap" into place. Maybe the base (where the bulbs are, isn't quit right and sticking up making it hard for the cover to fit tight against the window. Any chance there's another PT around that you can look at to see how that fits together?
I just moved here so I don't know anyone (i'm in Sun City Arizona if anyone's close).

You can actually see the huge gap. notice how there's a big wide line of clear glass you can see before the black coating on the window? that gap is probably an inch wide.

I'm not one for monkeying things together so i can't accept taping it, or gluing it, if some is warped or broken I'll replace it. So i just need to figure it out, but there's an inch gap between that plastic cover and the glass

FYI thanks for the reply!
Old 12 Oct 2016, 04:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Like Crewzin asked, where's the red lens?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 12 Oct 2016, 04:57 pm
Banned

Your cover looks like it has the black seal at the bottom, now at the top with the hatch open.

There are 5 clips that hold the trim panel on. It looks like maybe the center one did not get fully seated, holding the trim panel off the glass. With the palm of your hand, push in on the panel slightly to the right of the center, that is the location of the center clip that engages in the light housing. Once engaged the gap should close up and then the black seal in the picture above closes the remainder of the gap from the trim panel to the glass. You can also see the location of the center clip in the above pics.

Last edited by rckstein; 12 Oct 2016 at 05:20 pm.
Old 12 Oct 2016, 05:20 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Your cover looks like it has the black seal at the bottom, now at the top with the hatch open.

There are 5 clips that hold the trim panel on. It looks like maybe the center one did not get fully seated, holding the trim panel off the glass. With the palm of your hand, push in on the panel slightly to the right of the center, that is the location of the center clip that engages in the light housing. Once engaged the gap should close up and then the black seal in the picture above closes the remainder of the gap from the trim panel to the glass. You can also see the location of the center clip in the above pic.
yeah everything is there

it looks just like this pic
Old 12 Oct 2016, 05:30 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by story97 View Post
yeah everything is there

it looks just like this pic
The green arrow, in the pic below, is pointing to the slot in the light housing where the center trim panel clip engages, be sure that clip is seated and the gap should close up.

Old 12 Oct 2016, 05:33 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
The green arrow, in the pic below, is pointing to the slot in the light housing where the center trim panel clip engages, be sure that clip is seated and the gap should close up.

i did make sure it snapped in, but i didn't look to see if the female end was in right.

I'll take another look when it cools off. it's 98 in my garage right now lol