Advertisements
Rack and Pinion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By chuzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Oct 2016, 06:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Rack and Pinion

All right, I know I've asked it before but can't find it. So, who's replaced the rack on an 03 GT? Anyone? I'm asking because I finally went to the junkyard this morning and finished getting the one off the 04 GT. I also got a great passenger side headlight and another lower radiator support for the beat up one I have. I replaced the headlight and support and then started on the rack. What a pain in the ass! It looks to me like I'm going to have to lower the sub frame on the drivers side, just to get the power steering lines loose. I can't get a wrench in there any other way. Is this true for anyone that's done one? I will just loosen the bolts on the passenger side and HOPE that provides the room I'll need. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to block it up from under the oil pan and drop the whole sub frame. Any and ALL tips will be appreciated. My biggest concern is getting the roll pin out of the lower column and getting it lined back up when I put the replacement in. I did tie the steering wheel in a straight position and will count the # of turns on the outer tie rods when I take them off the one that's in the car now. I also ordered some new sway bar bushings (24 mm) and some new end links from Rock Auto. Saved me a little over $20 instead of buying locally. Do I really need the sway bar on it to drive it? I'm guessing the handling will be different, but I won't get the bushings and end links until Monday. I need to have it back together and driving by Saturday evening. Got church on Sunday and don't want to miss it. Thanks.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 13 Oct 2016, 06:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Rack and Pinion

A nice Rack is good in my oPINION
............................................I'll be in the corner waiting for my ban
Old 14 Oct 2016, 07:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I've always been more of a "rear end" guy, myself. I can't believe I've had 45 views and no help. Son of a .............. Looks like I'm on my own on this one. Wish me luck.

Old 14 Oct 2016, 07:53 am
Senior Cruiser

I removed the swaybar on my 2003 and didn't notice anything and I'm not a slowpoke either...
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 14 Oct 2016, 01:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, I got it done. What a pain in the neck. I'll never do one again, if I can help it. Took me 4&1/2 hours. I'd have probably been done a little sooner, but didn't really have any help. I did have the wife come out and operate the jack I had under it. What's the torque on the long bolt through the LCA to the floor? Anyone know? I torqued those bastards to 150 ft.lb. I hope that's enough because that's as far as my torque wrench goes. I torqued other bolts to 120 on the LCA except for the very back one. It's 150 also. I can tell a little difference in the roll through curves without the sway bar, but I don't have the bushings or end links yet, so I'll drive without it until they arrive. All in all, I don't recommend anyone doing this job unless you have a helper, don't mind getting filthy and have some mechanical experience.