PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help - 2003 GT spare tire needed!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SPLNeon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Oct 2016, 09:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help - 2003 GT spare tire needed!

Hello All,

This is my first post here so I apologize in advance if I should be posting elsewhere. I purchased a used 2003 PT Cruiser Turbo approximately 2.5 years ago. I absolutely love it and it's only got 70,000 miles on it. The only issue I've had thus far is with the tires (11 replacements during the first 18 months) mostly as a result of poor tire service (not checking for valve stem leaks or sealing new replacement wheels, etc.) on old peeling rims. After the last issue (approx. 4 months ago) I went to a different tire place, and even with my old crappy rims, the new tire's PSI has barely even dropped!

I am planning to replace all of the rims before winter (decided to go with the cheaper steel rims and wheel covers) but I'm in dire need of a new donut spare. I've looked online, called several junk car places, and even visited one the other day. There was a vehicle with a spare attached, but it was all rusted and I couldn't get it off.

The tire size on my car is 205/50R17. I think the junk car spare was only a 16. The person I spoke with inside the shop said the compact spare tires are all the same size and a 15 would be fine. Can anyone verify if this is true? I no longer have my old spare, so I can't check it. I'm a little nervous about ordering something online without really knowing if I'm ordering the correct size. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and if anyone knows of a place in MA/NH area that I could call, that would be great too. Thank you!
Old 15 Oct 2016, 09:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help - 2003 GT spare tire needed!

Welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

I have one that you can have if you pay shipping.

I replaced one with an early 2001 PT spare with an aluminum rim. Thus, I have a regular steel rim spare left over from my 2005 GT.
Old 15 Oct 2016, 10:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you! I would definitely pay the shipping, but would just want to be sure it will fit. I don't know if all the spares are the same size, or if there are 15s, 16s, and 17s.
Old 15 Oct 2016, 03:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

They are all the same size for all PT's.

And this one is off 2005 GT which had the same size 17 inch wheels that you have, or had originally. But it doesn't really matter.

If you want it, send me a PM with your name, shipping address and email. I'll PM back with the shipping cost. You can then pay me by PayPal. It will likely be middle of next week.
Old 21 Oct 2016, 06:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The steel rimmed PT Cruiser spare appears to weigh a little over 26 lbs. Shipping is $46.65. That's kind of pricey.

But I've got it ready if she wants it.

Old 22 Oct 2016, 12:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The spare tire has been shipped!

I will PM with the shipping number. Hope you enjoy it! Well, actually I hope you never have to use it. But you know what I mean.
Old 23 Oct 2016, 05:15 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
The steel rimmed PT Cruiser spare appears to weigh a little over 26 lbs. Shipping is $46.65. That's kind of pricey.

But I've got it ready if she wants it.

Yes, the steel spare is heavy for some reason. I noticed that they were heavier than the 14" rim/tire set up I replaced with the spare rims and Dunlop speed rated tires for skinnies on the back of the drag car. Aluminum spare ftw, I just need to find a pair lol
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Competition's paying the price.

03 PT GT. DSI canned tune, Weight redux, MH Racemaster Slicks/Rota Slipstream 15" 11.89at 115mph 1/4 mile
96 SOHC Neon Turbo
08 CSRT4. Realtune MS1K v1 pcm stg0 NSRT4 Injectors.
Old 23 Oct 2016, 09:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLNeon View Post
Yes, the steel spare is heavy for some reason. I noticed that they were heavier than the 14" rim/tire set up I replaced with the spare rims and Dunlop speed rated tires for skinnies on the back of the drag car. Aluminum spare ftw, I just need to find a pair lol
The aluminum spare is pretty common. I find them quite often at salvage yards. It appears that most if not all the "first batch" 2001 PT's have them no matter the edition. I've been meaning to get one for my little PT Vert. But just haven't had the time to cruise the salvage yards lately.