PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Radiator brand and hose spring clam sizes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Oct 2016, 03:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Radiator brand and hose spring clam sizes

Hello,

I'm about to buy new radiator to my 2008 PT Cruiser Touring AT (108800 miles). I'm pretty sure it is the radiator because I can see a 'line' of coolant on the plastic/aluminium boundary.... But tomorrow I'll do a pressure test on the system.

Anyway, if the problem is really the radiator, I'd like to hear some advice on which brand should I buy. I found this to at Rockauto:

TYC: Warranty is as long the part is in the car with the original owner
More Information for TYC 2298

And this Ebay:

SPECTRA PREMIUM: Warranty of 24 month
More Information for SPECTRA PREMIUM / COOLING DEPOT CU2298

AUTOMOTIVE COOLING: Same as TYC
2298 Radiator for Chrysler Fits PT Cruiser 2 4 L4 4CYL | eBay

Do you have any experience, good or bad, with any of those parts?

I'll also replace both upper and lower hoses, although they are not leaking, and also all four spring clamps. What are spring clamps sizes??

Thanks a lot!
Lucas
Old 15 Oct 2016, 04:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Radiator brand and hose spring clam sizes

I don't know about any of those radiators, but why not just get one from a local parts store? As for the spring clamp size, just measure the hoses and get the right ones.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 15 Oct 2016, 06:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Radiator brand and hose spring clam sizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrbbs View Post
Hello,

I'm about to buy new radiator to my 2008 PT Cruiser Touring AT (108800 miles). I'm pretty sure it is the radiator because I can see a 'line' of coolant on the plastic/aluminium boundary.... But tomorrow I'll do a pressure test on the system.

Anyway, if the problem is really the radiator, I'd like to hear some advice on which brand should I buy. I found this to at Rockauto:

TYC: Warranty is as long the part is in the car with the original owner
More Information for TYC 2298

And this Ebay:

SPECTRA PREMIUM: Warranty of 24 month
More Information for SPECTRA PREMIUM / COOLING DEPOT CU2298

AUTOMOTIVE COOLING: Same as TYC
2298 Radiator for Chrysler Fits PT Cruiser 2 4 L4 4CYL | eBay

Do you have any experience, good or bad, with any of those parts?

I'll also replace both upper and lower hoses, although they are not leaking, and also all four spring clamps. What are spring clamps sizes??

Thanks a lot!
Lucas

I've bought several Spectra radiators over the last few years. I like these because you can go to the Spectra website and get all the spec's on them. In every case, I've been able to get a better radiator than the OEM version. HOWEVER, everyone one of these I've bought has had an inferior drain cock. And the last one I bought for my Dodge RAM truck had a place for the drain cock in the plastic casting, but there was not one on the radiator at all. I'm not sure what Spectra's deal is with drain cocks, but they don't appear to be a big concern of theirs.

As far as hoses go, I like the blue Goodyear Hi-Miler hoses. They seem well made and the blue hoses look COOL. I use the OEM spring clamps. I dislike using spring clamps but that seem to hold better and are worry free over the long run.

Also, I would flush the cooling system very well before changing the radiator to remove as much particulate as possible. The original HOAT antifreeze can build up lots of particulate if not changed regularly. Refill with the name brand coolant of your choice. Almost all the good name brand stuff nowadays is universally compatible. They just add green, yellow or orange die to make the customer feel good. These will say they are universal on the labels.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 15 Oct 2016 at 06:10 pm.