Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 1 Post By chuzz
  • 1 Post By chuzz
  • 3 Post By ptprice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Oct 2016, 07:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default SOOO BIG's cousins actin' up. Code P0340, kabitizing greatfully accepted

My boy Pricie's 2005 PT Vert's High Output Turbo, Auto, 78000 miles coding P0430. That PT Vert is SOOO BIG's cousin! Garage kept and babied all it's life. Pricie's the original owner!

It's had a slightly lazy, rough idle for the past two weeks with the A/C on but that proved to be resistance from a bad bearing in the A/C compressor that might serve a long time before it goes. The engine light would come on but not constant, no codes showed and it idled OK with the A/C off.
This latest escapade might be completely unrelated but here goes!

The latest problem came about as he's driving home, the engine really stumbled, started idling and running rough out of the blue! He just made it home revving and coasting. An other quarter mile and he'd had to have it towed! He has a highfalutin code reader from his mom's old used car lot so he read the code and called it into Chrysler. They said, "faulty wire, cam shaft position sensor, broke wire or computer issues". My older boy Steve checked the code on line and said the code included the "dreaded timing belt".

Steve's an hour and a half from Pricie but he's gonna try to get from Credmore, NC to Martinsville, VA and put in the camshaft position sensor. Pricie's is best with the code reader but Steve is as good at fixing as me. After 20 years in the Air Force He's nearing a second retirement building the huge GE jet engines!

What are the odds the camshaft position sensor's what it's gonna be? Or is it odds on obviously the belt? Can that be determined w/o a tear down? My experience with the belt was my adventure in a parking lot in Kingsland, Ga. last year. Remember? SOOO BIG wasn't a happy boy for three days and I had to contend with a "lady of the night" one evening. I'm proud to report I didn't get any on me and SOOO BIG survived no worse for the wear! We're both good for another 100,000 miles or so!

All help, suggestion and kabitizing gratefully accepted! I'm trying to fix it from down here in Florida!

I'm planning to go to Martinsville on the 29th to watch the NASCAR Sprint Race and swallow a bunch of Margaritas! Ain't gonna have no time to fix a PT!

Thanks, Happy Ptin, ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 15 Oct 2016, 08:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: SOOO BIG's cousins actin' up. Code P0340, kabitizing greatfully accepted

P0340 - No Camshaft Position Sensor Signal:

Possible Causes:

1. Intermittent Camshaft Position signal 5v supply circuit open or is shorted to ground or to voltage
2. Camshaft Position Sensor signal circuit is open or shorted to ground or to battery voltage or 5v supply circuit
3. Camshaft Position Sensor ground circuit is open
4. 5 volt supply has failed
5. Camshaft Position Sensor is damaged or has failed

Suggest after taking the old camshaft position out to have someone crank it to see if the camshaft turns. This will tell you if the timing belt is still on the sprockets.
Make sure to check the wire and contacts going to the camshaft position sensor before checking the camshaft position sensor itself.
ptprice likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 15 Oct 2016 at 08:51 pm.
Old 16 Oct 2016, 06:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: SOOO BIG's cousins actin' up. Code P0340, kabitizing greatfully accepted

Price, I don't understand why Pricie can't just replace the cam sensor himself.Seems like an inconvenient thing for Steve to have to do such a simple job for him. It's a plug connector and two 10mm bolts, for goodness sakes. Can't he at least unplug it and see if it'll start, for himself? It should throw a code if it starts and runs. I've never heard of a faulty timing belt throwing a code, but I'm not a mechanic, so I don't know anything.
ptprice likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 16 Oct 2016, 07:59 am
Veteran Cruiser

Excellent input, very illuminating and insightful. I'll pass it on to my boys immediately. YAHOO! Chuzz your right. If we 'splain it to Pricie he should be able to do it. I watched a YouTube video, It's like buttering bread!
So it's a given it'll probably be the sensor, Huh?

Thanks, Happy Ptin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 16 Oct 2016, 09:31 am
Veteran Cruiser

I've since talked to Steve on the road. Your input's invaluable. Appreciate it!. Pricie's a great diagnostician, great logic! but doesn't have confidence in his mechanical acumen. Ergo Steve's trip across state to fix it! That's what family is for!
Thanks for the advise. I'll keep ya posted!

Happy Ptin', ptprice
Old 16 Oct 2016, 07:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

It checked out as a bad cam position sensor. The test drive proved success with nothing but that slight stumble at idle with the A/C on remaining. That's suspected to be a bad bearing in the A/C compressor that might last 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months or 3 years. Pricie'll wait that one out!

Thanks for the help, advise and kabitizing. Once again my buddy's on the Forum came through! YAHOO!

Last edited by ptprice; 17 Oct 2016 at 04:06 am. Reason: photo shift
Old 17 Oct 2016, 04:49 am
Veteran Cruiser

Thanks again for the help diagnosing Pricie's PT Vert. Here's a photo of Pricies PT Vert engine compartment all buttoned up after installin' the new camshaft position sensor. It's runnin' so much better that he's rekindle his plans to drive it up to Hazleton, Pa. for a week, leaving on Tuesday. He'll be back by the 28th in time for my trip up to Martinsville for the NASCAR Sprint Race on the 30th. YAHOO! One half mile of NASCAR at its best!

Steve, who road over from Credmore, NC. to Martinsville, Va. to help fix Pricie's PT Vert used it as an excuse to ride his new white horse he drove over on. It's a 2017 Police Special. It's awesome, with the new ride configuration and that huge, over 1700cc engine it's a beast! I think the color is slimming!

He'll be re-configuring it to the American Flag motif similar to what I'd designed on Steve's 2016 Harley. That one was totally wrecked when a deer decided to jump out in front of him last year when he was riding out on the exit lane from the GE Jet Engine Plant he works at. The deer survived, so did Steve but the Harley was totaled. With the settlement he picked up Plum Crazy a few weeks later. This 2017 was an added acquisition just a few weeks ago. Too neat to resist!

Happy PTin', Happy Harleyin", ptprice

GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg

20161016_112330.jpg

aquacruisersteve on his new Harley Plum Crazy.jpg

initial hand cut plum crazy graphic 004.jpg
Old 17 Oct 2016, 06:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Glad to hear it all worked out and everyone's happy now, Price. Your son's are some big dudes! Remind me to never piss you off!
ptprice likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 21 Oct 2016, 08:54 pm
Veteran Cruiser

The replacement of the camshaft position sensor fixed price's 2005 PT Vert. He just ran it up to Pennsy, endin' up in Sugarloaf Valley just outside Hazleton visitin' my brother Scott.

Pricie's PT got a whopping 27mpg on the trip up. Figuring that long up hill pull on I-81 from Harrisburg to Hazleton I'd say that's pretty good mileage. It runs better now than it has for a long while.
A/C's workin' good too.

He sends a big thank you for the good advise, as do I.

Scotty's PT VERT just had a timing belt change and a lot of suspension work as the roads in the valley are a bit treacherous for wearing out suspensions. After it was buttoned all up a code was pulled indicating something not hooked back up on the tranny so tomorrow they'll fix it.

Here's pictures of Price's Midnight blue 2005 Vert and a photo of the Sugarloaf Valley with the Sugarloaf Mountain in the middle distance. It's a beautiful place! Almost as nice as mid east coast Florida!

They're off for some Piza with Scamutz Cheese. As far as I know it's only indigenous to Hazleton and Wilkes Barre. I'm gonna ask Pricie to bring me 10 pieces back. It's as good cold as hot! I can't wait! Have you tried it? If you have you know what I'm talkin' about. I once did an Art show in central Jersey and found a little Mom's and Pop's store that had Piza with Scamutz Cheeze. I think it was imported from Hazleton! Always brings back memories!

Happy Ptin', ptprice

IMG_20130527_144844_389.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg

trip to Hazleton for HHS BD reunion 107.jpg