07 PT Cruiser Touring: Oil burning smell strong, no visible leaks

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 2 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Oct 2016, 12:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation 07 PT Cruiser Touring: Oil burning smell strong, no visible leaks

My car has a very strong smell of burning oil that started a few days ago, or maybe it was just the first time I noticed it. About a month ago, my car needed a quart of oil. It had been 3-4 months since my last oil change and that really wasn't too uncommon for it to be low that close to me needing an oil change so I wasn't concerned.
At any rate, I still haven't gotten around to changing my oil. I am about 500 miles over due, and I was planning on doing it soon. In the meantime, I noticed the smell. So I checked my oil, I went through a quart in about 4 weeks and 700 miles. So obviously losing oil somewhere. However, there are no visible leaks and zero oil spots on my garage floor or in my parking spot at work, where my car is most of the time. I'm trying to figure out what might be causing the oil loss but no visible leaks?? I should add about a year ago, I had the head gasket, valve stems, water pump, belt and several seals replaced. Also I noticed my car is somewhat louder on acceleration than it use to be.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 12:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 07 PT Cruiser Touring: Oil burning smell strong, no visible leaks

Here's a wild guess just to get the ball rolling.

Let's say your PT was burning the oil. It might make a little black, blue or even white smoke, but maybe none at all. A common cause of this is a bad PVC valve. But of course, worn rings can do that too.

Now, let say you developed an exhaust leak. This might make the engine louder at acceleration and let burning oil fumes escape where they are noticed more.

If me, I'd first check the PVC valve and probably replace it just to eliminate that potential cause. And I would check in the bottom of the air filter assembly for a lot of oil from blow-by. I would check for an oily air filter too. I'd then watch for smoke at start up and when the engine is under a load like during passing on the highway. I'd also check for an exhaust leak or a blown out exhaust gasket.

It should be noted that I am a Safety Engineer among other things and I haven't worked as a professional mechanic since I was very young before college. And even then, it was mostly big trucks and industrial equipment. Today, I work on little toy cars like ours just for fun and relaxation.
Globug likes this.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 12:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

All the information I can get, helps
Old 26 Oct 2016, 12:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would also suggest checking the oil sending unit behind the engine. Sometimes they start leaking and burning on the exhaust manifold. That might be the smell that you are sensing.
Handy_Cruiser and chuzz like this.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 01:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I will have my husband check it. Thanks