Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By LionPT
  • 1 Post By cfm56doc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Oct 2016, 06:57 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Drivers window tilts forward when coming up

Sorry if this is a repeat issue, but I tried searching for an answer and could not find anything.

I have bought my second PT and this one is a 2003 GT. Just recently the drivers side window (power) tends to tilt forward in the track while coming up and will actually jam in the window track to the point the window will stop coming up. If I pull the window back towards the rear of the car, the window will continue to go up as it normally should.

Anyone have any idea what causes this? I am planning on taking the door panel off either today or this weekend to take a peek and see if I can tell what is going on.

Thanks in advance,
Greg
Old 28 Oct 2016, 07:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Drivers window tilts forward when coming up

It's potentially one of two causes.

First, the window glass is bolted to the lift mechanism. If one of those bolts came out, the window might tilt as you describe. And second, the mechanism is cable driven. If the cable slips it might let the window tilt. I figure that once you remove the interior panel and can visually inspect it, the reason for the tilting will become more clear.
cfm56doc likes this.
Old 28 Oct 2016, 07:12 am
Veteran Cruiser

window issue
cfm56doc likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 28 Oct 2016, 07:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

My drivers window glass does this periodically also.. a quick tug to level it and all seems to be well again. I might get around to investigating it further one day

I had considered putting some lubrication on the window channels to see if that helps as a quick and easy potential fix.
Old 28 Oct 2016, 08:25 am
Regular Cruiser

LionPT and Handy Cruiser,

Thank you for the reply and link to the lift mechanism. I just got back in from pulling the door panel and the window is not tilting in the in lift mechanism, but rather the whole lift mechanism is tilting on the lift track. This lift mechanism is guided by several plastic sliders that guide the lift mechanism on the lift track, so I applied some grease to the track to see if that may help, and it did not help. Next step is to try and spray some silicone in the forward most window track and see if that helps at all. (Temp fix at best)

I suspect if I want to fix this correctly, I will need to replace the entire lift track and mechanism. Going to start pricing a new lift mechanism and may visit my local junk yard for one this weekend depending on the cost.

Again thank you for the information.

Last edited by cfm56doc; 28 Oct 2016 at 08:52 am.
Old 28 Oct 2016, 02:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

I ended up going to the local junk yard and pulled the whole assembly and now it works like a champ. The motor assembly I removed from my car looks relatively new so could have been a cheap knock off.

Now to figure out why I have such a weak azz horn. Replaced horn and still sounds like it's stuffed with cotton.
LionPT likes this.