Advertisements
Power steering issue, works but super loud, New pump & fluid

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By thecabinguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Oct 2016, 12:46 am
Young Cruiser

Default Power steering issue, works but super loud, New pump & fluid

Previous owner drove the car with an empty PS pump, took the belt off but he knew he burnt up the pump.

Installed new pump and belt, this one has the square reservoir. Flushed and blead the best I could. The steering feels good and works like it should, but it's loud as hell.

The only thing I noticed is that it had red PS fluid and the new stuff I put in is clear. But I made sure it was the correct type of PS fluid.

I did put the front end in the air and bleed it out side to side over and over etc... Fluid is at proper height in the res.

I've read about the reservoir having an uncleanable screen in it and if it clogs it must be replaced. Are they referring to the round reservoir? A new square type res is almost $200 new.

Any ideas??
Old 29 Oct 2016, 02:02 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Power steering issue, works but super loud, New pump & fluid

The 03 I had sounded like it was sucking air instead of fluid when I purchased it. What I did was remove the reservoir and clean it with brake cleaner and reinstalled it, (yes there is a fine screen in it do not damage it)

connect a length of hose to the small line from the rack using a plastic connector or a short piece of copper tubing, enough to reach a clear half gallon container,

use a piece of hose on the return fitting and keep it higher than the reservoir or a short piece of hose with a plug in it to keep the fluid from draining out.

connect the larger front hose and refill the reservoir and have some one start the engine, let it idle and keep pouring the correct power steering fluid into the reservoir until the fluid comes out clear.

Reconnect the return line and test.

I had no more problems or noise with my PS.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 29 Oct 2016 at 02:04 am.
Old 29 Oct 2016, 09:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Make sure you ONLY have ATF +4 transmission fluid in the reservoir. On the two turbo PT's I've owned, it's MUCH quieter using ATF +4. And I've had to change it out to ATF +4 on every PT I've owned.
Old 30 Oct 2016, 09:48 am
Veteran Cruiser

you should elevate the front tires off the ground so there is no resistance to damage anything, and then turn the wheel right an left repeatedly. do not hold it at the lock. should help quiet it down. seems you already did that though?

if you have a rebuilt pump they are a gamble. my way is like the bare minimum thing that should always be done before driving.

the right way is to follow the TSB here(scroll down a bit): 2001 pt cruiser: aftermarket..pump hose and rack, keeps cutting..pumps

someone on here removed/stabbed open the screen with good result.

Last edited by rob302; 30 Oct 2016 at 09:54 am.
Old 30 Oct 2016, 11:35 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricks4584 View Post
Previous owner drove the car with an empty
The only thing I noticed is that it had red PS fluid and the new stuff I put in is clear. But I made sure it was the correct type of PS fluid.

I did put the front end in the air and bleed it out side to side over and over etc... Fluid is at proper height in the res.
When I had my power steering serviced on my '05 just last year, the fluid that was put back in was the red ATF4 trans fluid. Seems to be doing just fine. Is this the wrong fluid?

***** I just read Handy_Cruiser's post. I feel better that I do have the correct fluid in my car. Whew!
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock

Last edited by thecabinguy; 30 Oct 2016 at 12:01 pm.