Tossed drive belt 20 miles from home

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Renegade
  • 1 Post By robadat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Nov 2016, 04:03 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Tossed drive belt 20 miles from home

So the belt was hanging down under the front bumper when I got out of the store. Bummer. Nice hot summer day. 2003 Dream Cruiser.
Then I remembered, the water pump is driven by the timing belt. Jumped in , fired her up and hit the road for home. No heat problems.
Of course the power steering isn't working but I can live with that.
Actually I've been living without it for a couple of months, ruptured hose I think. Maybe the belt tossed because the pump froze up? I'll try and get that back together this weekend.
Have to get the Dream safety inspected this month, have engine light on so that too.
Old 03 Nov 2016, 10:36 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Tossed drive belt 20 miles from home

That belt is easy to install, so you at least you've got that going for you.
rob302 likes this.
Old 03 Nov 2016, 12:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You've been driving it for a couple of months with a ruptured hose? Have you been keeping the coolant topped off? If not, I'd be wary of a head gasket leak before long. Hot engines tend to cause problems.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 03 Nov 2016, 01:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
You've been driving it for a couple of months with a ruptured hose? Have you been keeping the coolant topped off? If not, I'd be wary of a head gasket leak before long. Hot engines tend to cause problems.
I am pretty sure that he was referring to the power steering hose being ruptured, not a coolant hose.
Old 03 Nov 2016, 01:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
In reading his posting, I think he was referring to a P/S hose rupture, not a coolant line. Could be that the p/s pump seized if it's been running dry, that could cause the accessory belt to come off.

Replacing the accessory belt is relatively easy, the p/s pump and associated hoses, a bit harder.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 03 Nov 2016, 05:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by robadat View Post
In reading his posting, I think he was referring to a P/S hose rupture, not a coolant line. Could be that the p/s pump seized if it's been running dry, that could cause the accessory belt to come off.

Replacing the accessory belt is relatively easy, the p/s pump and associated hoses, a bit harder.
It seems logical to guess that his pump could be seized. After all, he said he's been driving it with the leak for a while and my own experience is that the pump would be loudly screaming for attention if it was dry and running.

If that's the case, yes indeedy that's quite a bit more work. I just replaced my PS lines myself a week and a half ago and it required removing the radiator and front end to get in there and at the pump.
Old 04 Nov 2016, 08:06 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
It seems logical to guess that his pump could be seized. After all, he said he's been driving it with the leak for a while and my own experience is that the pump would be loudly screaming for attention if it was dry and running.

If that's the case, yes indeedy that's quite a bit more work. I just replaced my PS lines myself a week and a half ago and it required removing the radiator and front end to get in there and at the pump.
I have a tiny leak in the PS hose on my Cruiser, have to add fluid roughly every two weeks to keep it full. Haven't let it get down to the point where it starts complaining. I am not looking forward to tearing things apart to replace that damn hose. Intend to nurse it thru the winter and do it in the springtime when I start work on my front suspension.