PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Which PT Cruisers need to have upper intake removed to change spark plugs?

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Moparman440
  • 2 Post By CREWZIN
  • 1 Post By quicksilverdon
  • 2 Post By CREWZIN
  • 1 Post By chuzz
  • 1 Post By Moparman440
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Nov 2016, 10:41 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Which PT Cruisers need to have upper intake removed to change spark plugs?

Guys,
I have seen several references on here as to having to remove the upper intake manifold just to change the spark plugs. Is this on the naturally aspirated models?
I'm wondering because I have a turbo with aluminum intake and a turbo with the composite intake and I have changed plugs on both without pulling the intake.
wingman55 likes this.
Old 06 Nov 2016, 10:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Which PT Cruisers need to have upper intake removed to change spark plugs?

The N/A (non turbo) models need to have the upper manifold taken off. The width of the runners on the non-turbo's makes it impossible to get to all the plugs.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Nov 2016, 05:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Which PT Cruisers need to have upper intake removed to change spark plugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
The N/A (non turbo) models need to have the upper manifold taken off. The width of the runners on the non-turbo's makes it impossible to get to all the plugs.
Yup.
I have changed plugs on turbos with aluminum and composite manifolds without taking the intake off - with swivel sockets.
On the N/A, manifold has to come off.
wingman55 likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Nov 2016, 05:35 pm
Banned

So on the N/A, could the intake have been designed to allow for access to all the plugs? Or because it is composite, it had to be designed how it is for strength, thus blocking access to the 2 middle plugs?
Old 06 Nov 2016, 06:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Personally I would have thought they could have designed the N/A plastic upper manifold the same way as the turbo so access to the plugs would have been easier but I'm not an engineer.
rckstein and Carnut like this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Nov 2016, 06:08 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Personally I would have thought they could have designed the N/A plastic upper manifold the same way as the turbo so access to the plugs would have been easier but I'm not an engineer.
That's what I was thinking, because it was obviously done on the turbo
Old 06 Nov 2016, 07:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
So on the N/A, could the intake have been designed to allow for access to all the plugs? Or because it is composite, it had to be designed how it is for strength, thus blocking access to the 2 middle plugs?
Most turbos that have the composite intake...the difference in the turbo & N/A intakes is for air flow.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 07 Nov 2016, 07:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I have the aluminum intake on my turbo. I can change the plugs in it in about 20 minutes. That's about the ONLY thing that's easy to work on on these 2.4's in the PT.
rckstein likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 10 Nov 2016, 05:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ha ha, yeah Chuzz, but don't forget the multi function switch, that is an absolute breeze to change on the PT as well.
I forgot to mention that the aluminum intake is MUCH easier to change the plugs on than the turbo composite. I'm sorry to hear that the N/A cars are such a pain.
chuzz likes this.
Old 11 Nov 2016, 10:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
They didn't factor any of that in. As per mopar. You are instructed to remove the intake to Change plugs in all PTs. But allowing for access wouldn't affect strength.
rckstein likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 11 Nov 2016 at 10:50 am.