PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 key transponder bypass

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Nov 2016, 11:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 key transponder bypass

u all were great and helped me before, olz help again, lost my keys, i just want the easiest way to bypass all that crap, i dont need it.....

thanks a million
Old 06 Nov 2016, 02:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 key transponder bypass

If you have lost your only gray sentry key, you are out of luck. It will take a dealer or locksmith to make you a new key. There's no way around it at home unless you install another mated PCM and SKIM module with mated sentry key. You could also send your PCM to Sykes tuning and have the SKIM turned off. But that's about the same price as having a sentry key made. And it would likely take much longer.

If you still have a sentry key left, you can just have a copy made from a regular blank and then take the sentry key and zip tie it to the SKIM module under the steering wheel column cover. Then you can just use regular keys from then on.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 06 Nov 2016 at 03:01 pm.
Old 07 Nov 2016, 08:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

What Handy said. I only got one transponder key with mine and since there are 3 of us that drive, we were always wondering who had the key. I got keys made at Walmart and zip tied the transponder key to the SKIM under the steering wheel cover. My Walmart keys work like a charm and everyone has their own key now.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 07 Nov 2016, 11:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

cant i find out the freq. of my key and put the propper amount of resisters to equal , and get by for a miniute ?

or even can i match that freq, any other way ? cell phones ect...
Old 07 Nov 2016, 12:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunpro3 View Post
cant i find out the freq. of my key and put the propper amount of resisters to equal , and get by for a miniute ?

Lot's of things are possible if you have the skills and resources. But I've never heard of an easy "trick" to do this on a PT Cruiser. The dealership can take your VIN and look up the SKIM code. Then they unlock the SKIM to mate the new key. I believe locksmiths use this same method and/or use a device to "hack" the SKIM to get the code. There's a U-tube video on that but it takes some pretty expensive locksmith tools and software. As far as I know (and I'm no expert on this), neither dealer nor locksmith actually has a way to determine the sentry key transponder unique frequency. Plus, I believe the key transponder doesn't even use a unique frequency. I believe it sends a code to the SKIM and not just a fixed signal at a specific frequency.

The cheapest route is likely going to be a locksmith that makes house calls. That way the vehicle does not have to be towed. This service is very common in my area and usually runs somewhere between $100 and $200.

Also, if you have them make two separate (not cloned) sentry keys, you can then program more yourself.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 07 Nov 2016 at 12:06 pm.
Old 07 Nov 2016, 12:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser

my locksmith quit reproducing older vehicle keys because various manufacturers were only keeping info on the keys for a set amount of time, for example i believe she said ford was only keeping them 6 years. 16 years is a long time to keep notes. she would still re-key the locks and ignition, but could not find the data on which key to cut.

i wonder how long chrysler keeps key info on file?
Old 07 Nov 2016, 12:53 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The locksmith I found locally told me about getting the PIN code and key code from the local Chrysler dealership. If I gave him those, he would cut the key, program the car and test it out for $50.

I went to the local Chrysler dealership with my vehicle registration paperwork and ID and they simply looked it up in the database in Florida (that's where the parts guy said it was located) and got a printout. No charge.

I told the locksmith I had 2 complete FOB's and 2 additional empty key shells. He did the whole batch for $75. When he cut the keys, it was based purely on the key code and he did not need the original key to make the duplicates. They were cut "factory fresh" rather than a copy of an old worn out key.

Here's a more detailed story of my key experience.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 07 Nov 2016, 01:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i agree ! this is a bunch of shit ! i own the damn thing and if i want it without all that theft crap then it WONT !

it is on a freq. 90% sure and others found a way just making the freq. near the ignition with enough resistors put together.

i will try to find a way tp do without the whole thing... wish it could just be shut off

and im gonna try to produce a better way using a cell phone....

WISH ME LUCK !
Old 07 Nov 2016, 01:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:

I did that with a GM vehicle. Don't know if it required a battery.
In fact I don't know if ours requires a battery in the FOB to work,,, anybody?
rob302 likes this.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 07 Nov 2016, 01:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
i agree ! this is a bunch of shit ! i own the damn thing and if i want it without all that theft crap then it WONT !

it is on a freq. 90% sure and others found a way just making the freq. near the ignition with enough resistors put together.

i will try to find a way tp do without the whole thing... wish it could just be shut off

and im gonna try to produce a better way using a cell phone....

WISH ME LUCK !
If you do find a way, please share it with us.

But if you do want to just shut it off, here's they guy that can do that.

Dodge Security SKIM Key Disable
rsrocket1 likes this.