Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
knocking noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Nov 2016, 08:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default knocking noise

it is a couple of weeks that there is a knocking noise comes from the engine when is in acceleration, but not when is idle, specially get louder when is in up hill and sometimes turns off itself more when backing off. I did changed the sparks and wire and clean the injectors and put high octane, but not much a change. Any idea what would be source of it?
Old 06 Nov 2016, 08:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: knocking noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfagt View Post
it is a couple of weeks that there is a knocking noise comes from the engine when is in acceleration, but not when is idle, specially get louder when is in up hill and sometimes turns off itself more when backing off. I did changed the sparks and wire and clean the injectors and put high octane, but not much a change. Any idea what would be source of it?
First, welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

You should introduce yourself and tell us more about your PT in the new members section.

To help you, the first thing we will need is information about your PT. What year, what edition, how many miles, stuff like that.

Next, does the knock only happen when going down the road and does it change with the speed of the car or speed of the engine? That might help us determine if the sound is coming from the engine, drive train or suspension. It would also be great if you could post a cell phone video of the knocking if you can.

Knowing nothing more than what you've said, my first thought is a bad CV shaft, and/or a bad motor mount. These will sometimes cause a knocking when the car is under a load. But again, we will need more information to truly help you.
Old 06 Nov 2016, 08:26 pm
Banned

Welcome to the forum
Old 06 Nov 2016, 09:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
First, welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

You should introduce yourself and tell us more about your PT in the new members section.

To help you, the first thing we will need is information about your PT. What year, what edition, how many miles, stuff like that.

Next, does the knock only happen when going down the road and does it change with the speed of the car or speed of the engine? That might help us determine if the sound is coming from the engine, drive train or suspension. It would also be great if you could post a cell phone video of the knocking if you can.

Knowing nothing more than what you've said, my first thought is a bad CV shaft, and/or a bad motor mount. These will sometimes cause a knocking when the car is under a load. But again, we will need more information to truly help you.
Sorry. I am from Toronto, ON, Canada. My PT is 2006, 240k, 2.4 non turbo. As I mentioned when the car is idle there is no noise, but when is accelerating there is this noise which get louder when is in up hill. I do not believe is a engine mount which has been changed recently. It looks like a valves within engine. It is also sometime the car turns off when I am in revers or decelerating.
Old 06 Nov 2016, 09:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Sorry. I am from Toronto, ON, Canada. My PT is 2006, 240k, 2.4 non turbo. As I mentioned when the car is idle there is no noise, but when is accelerating there is this noise which get louder when is in up hill. I do not believe is a engine mount which has been changed recently. It looks like a valves within engine. It is also sometime the car turns off when I am in revers or decelerating.
Apparently between 60km/h to 100km/h the knocking is more accentuate, but when you keep the speed constant it goes away unless when it get to some part when the road has steep inclination upward but not downward.
Old 07 Nov 2016, 12:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Apparently between 60km/h to 100km/h the knocking is more accentuate, but when you keep the speed constant it goes away unless when it get to some part when the road has steep inclination upward but not downward.
Do you have a check engine light? And if so, have you checked for trouble codes?
Old 07 Nov 2016, 07:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Do you have a check engine light? And if so, have you checked for trouble codes?
no check engine light on and the mechanic check and everything were in normal range.
Old 07 Nov 2016, 07:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum. Have your "mechanic" check the belt tensioner. Sometimes they can lose tension and start popping. They make a hell of a racket. I had one do that on a 3.3 Grand Caravan I had.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 07 Nov 2016, 02:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Welcome to the forum. Have your "mechanic" check the belt tensioner. Sometimes they can lose tension and start popping. They make a hell of a racket. I had one do that on a 3.3 Grand Caravan I had.
The problems with mechanic is that they go with exclusion. He thought it was the sparks and wire which I changed and was not an issue. Now he is saying ignition coil, belt tensioner, and or one of the piston is misfiring. which one it is? nobody knows. Naturally if it is a piston, it does not worth fix it?

I have to say that PT Cruiser was disaster of engineering.
Old 07 Nov 2016, 03:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Dude, you need to find another "mechanic". Sounds to me like that dude doesn't know the difference between his ass and a hole in the ground.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Last edited by chuzz; 08 Nov 2016 at 07:01 am.