Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
there is a pt cruiser with a rear sway bar in the boneyard and rear discs

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Nov 2016, 01:31 pm
Young Cruiser

Default there is a pt cruiser with a rear sway bar in the boneyard and rear discs

its a 2001. touring edition. I was wondering if those parts will fit a 2003 basic model. I don't have a rear swaybar and I have drum brakes in the rear
Old 13 Nov 2016, 03:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: there is a pt cruiser with a rear sway bar in the boneyard and rear discs

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd75 View Post
its a 2001. touring edition. I was wondering if those parts will fit a 2003 basic model. I don't have a rear swaybar and I have drum brakes in the rear
Yes they will. You can take the four bolts out of each leading arm hanger, take the bell crank, sway bar links and shocks loose; and drop the entire back axle. Before dropping it, there's one brake hose to take loose near the front of the right leading arm (if I remember right, might be left). Take the parking brake loose under the console at the back of the lever.

All of that will bolt right in place of the same on the 2003. And the threaded bolt holes for the sway bar links are already there in the rear wheel wells. It's all plug and play.
Carnut likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 13 Nov 2016 at 03:22 pm.
Old 14 Nov 2016, 05:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: there is a pt cruiser with a rear sway bar in the boneyard and rear discs

But then you would at least need a master cylinder made for a car with rear disks. Is there anything else I'm forgetting?
Old 14 Nov 2016, 06:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparman440 View Post
But then you would at least need a master cylinder made for a car with rear disks. Is there anything else I'm forgetting?
If like my PT, the original master cylinder you have now along with the your original proportioning valve will work perfectly. Drove mine 110 miles a day back and forth to work over a year several days a week. No issues at all. And it stopped great too.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 14 Nov 2016 at 06:27 pm.
Old 15 Nov 2016, 10:05 am
Young Cruiser

my master cylinder i am sure is original. i have noticed that the rear line is wet at the bottom. Im wondering if there is a rubber o ring in there leaking. car has 134k miles . do i have to grab the whole axle or can i unbolt the whole rear disc brake assembly from the donor car axle and bolt the parts on mine or are rear disc axles different than rear drum. i am guessing the sway bar will need new endlinks and bushings
Old 15 Nov 2016, 10:39 am
Senior Cruiser

If I were doing it, I would take the whole thing. Check Handy's thread.

I thought the main issue with the swap was whether the cars have/had ABS. I thought that was where people would run into compatibility problems.
Old 15 Nov 2016, 11:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The drum to disc conversion was generically tested. Although it will work I was told by Bendix that manufactures brake master cylinders and other brake parts there would be a pressure difference in the system . This pressure drop would most likely not reduce the effective breaking under normal operation but *there was a question in panic stopping how the slight change in drop of total pressure may effect the stopping performance. This was a conversation I had with a Technical adviser at Benndix a few months ago but only off the cuff from the original intention of the call to them. We did not go into much detail about that subbject.
Bendix Brakes | Our Heritage in Braking Excellence
Tech Support: 877-203-9495
During the thread having to do with the conversion the member was asked to do some rather DIY testing that seemed to indicate that the conversion to satisfaction of some members *"worked".

I only wanted members to realize that any system changes performed by members and emulated by others should understand that they do these projects at their on risk. In the case of brakes IMO you should be very careful making system changes without full understanding what you are doing.

As for the sway bar if it was not said I recommend to gather all the fastener and brackets ,bushing,etc. from the donor car. You can always try to find new replacement parts later but it is better to have everything you need so you are not hunting or guessing for missing parts.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 15 Nov 2016, 11:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd75 View Post
my master cylinder i am sure is original. i have noticed that the rear line is wet at the bottom. Im wondering if there is a rubber o ring in there leaking. car has 134k miles . do i have to grab the whole axle or can i unbolt the whole rear disc brake assembly from the donor car axle and bolt the parts on mine or are rear disc axles different than rear drum. i am guessing the sway bar will need new endlinks and bushings
It's easier to just get the whole back axle. Otherwise, you are going to have to run the brake lines and cables plus the brackets for them are a little different. Using the whole axle makes it plug and plug. To me the hardest part was not installing the axle. That takes less than an hour. It was attaching the emergency brake cables. Taking the center console and carpet up takes a little time.

And yes, you will likely want new sway bar bushings. Most of the 2001/2002 sway bars I've seen at salvage yards have very worn rubber bushings.

As far as risk goes, I gauge risk for a living. And there's always risk with any modification or upgrade. To me, doing a brake modification myself is no more risky than letting a mechanic I don't know just do normal maintenance on my car. A couple of my son's knuckle-headed buddies are now mechanics at large dealerships. One showed up at my house just last night at 9:30 pm wanting a brake caliper bolt he had lost while helping a buddy. Frankly, I would be worried about these young fellows just changing a headlight on my PT. As I teach in safety classes, the best person to assure your own safety is you. Research all this for yourself and make your own decisions. What works well for me might not work as well for you.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 15 Nov 2016 at 11:42 am.
Old 15 Nov 2016, 11:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I am not sure if it was mentioned..if you do the conversion you will want to do a "complete" brake fluid change. This requires a pressure brake bleeder and possibly a DRBII or similar PCM diagnostic scan tool. Basically you should have this procedure performed at a shop that is qualified and advertises doing brake service work.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 15 Nov 2016, 11:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I am not sure if it was mentioned..if you do the conversion you will want to do a "complete" brake fluid change. This requires a pressure brake bleeder and possibly a DRBII or similar PCM diagnostic scan tool. Basically you should have this procedure performed at a shop that is qualified and advertises doing brake service work.
Nitro, not to go back and forth with you on this. But I don't believe that 2003 Base PT with original drum brakes will have ABS nor will it need that procedure.

My Charger requires the procedure you mentioned, but it is more similar to a 2nd Gen PT with ABS. A 2003 without ABS will not need that. He can likely just flush the system one wheel at a time by starting at the one furthest away from the master cylinder. However, doing the brake flush is a great idea and I bet the car needs it too.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 15 Nov 2016 at 12:08 pm.