Replacing JOUNCE BUMPERS on SOOO BIG

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By ptprice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Nov 2016, 02:23 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Replacing JOUNCE BUMPERS on SOOO BIG

Too easy, even for this Geezer.

(1) Pry out old Jounce Bumpers. If yours are as bad as SOOO BIG's were, they just about crumbled so a long and short screwdriver'll pried out the stump. Twisting them out definitely doesn't work! They just crumbled!

(2) Spray a shot of dish wash soap in the grimy socket and wipe it clean. Also spray dish wash soap on the base of the Jounce Bumper for ease of insertion!

(3) Seat the new Jounce Bumper in the socket as deep as you can. Listen for the moan! I seated the right one cockeyed with one side all the way in. The left I seated until it wouldn't go in anymore. Either way works! They still have to be pressed in. It's just impossible to "screw it in" so I took the path of least resistance and let the weight of SOOO BIG (no offense meant SOOO BIG. Your a lean mean machine!) press the Jounce Bumper home in the socket.

(4) Using your PT Jack placed behind the back of the rocker panel (never on the ridge at the back of the rocker panel) find the lift point for this Odyssey. It's at the outer edge of the trail arm pivot mount.(See jacking photo) It's right behind the back edge of the rocker panel so be careful of your jack position. Too far in and you'll be lifting the axle. Too far out and you'll be on the rocker panel edge. This attention to positioning will save you from denting your rocker panel!

(5) Lift the body, (just the body) high enough to place some spacer blocks between the Jounce Bumper and the point just under on the axle.

(6) The blocks should be high enough so when the PT body is lowered you'll get block contact with the bottom of the Jounce Bumper above and the axle below spacer as it the body is lowered.

(7) You'll hear a satisfying "clunk" as the Jounce Bumper seats. Seeing is believing so check it out after the "clunk"! (three rings should be showing) It's critical that you use spacer blocks high enough to get the 'clunk" but low enough to remove when you jack your PT body back up. (60 Jack it back up, remove the blocks, wiggle and pull on the Jounce Bumper to see if it was a real seating "clunk" and not a wayward fart!

(8) Put your jack back, pick up the random pieces of foam from the deteriorated Jounce Bumpers and see if you beat my time of 12 minutes.
Not bad for an old geezer!
Advise if you match or beat my time!

See photos

Happy p[tin', ptprice

What is it.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 13 Nov 2016 at 04:25 pm.
Old 13 Nov 2016, 03:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Replacing JOUNCE BUMPERS on SOOO BIG

Thanks, I'll remember this tip. I'd probably struggle trying to pry the bushing in with a 2x4 or something. Your method makes good sense.
Old 13 Nov 2016, 03:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Replacing JOUNCE BUMPERS on SOOO BIG

My bad, Price. Sorry about the wrong info. I grabbed one at the junkyard one day and gave it a twist and it came right out! I didn't put it on mine though, as it was kind of crumbly to the feel. Thanks for the correct info.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.