Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine sounds like Diesel on cold start - engine clacking until warm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Nov 2016, 08:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine sounds like Diesel on cold start - engine clacking until warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_mahoney View Post
Pictures of the modified Cam bearings:

Cold start ticking (video) - Dodge SRT Forum

I remember reading about that "chamfering"- I don't recall that the noise was dependent on temperature - that it went away when engine warmed up.....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Nov 2016, 10:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine sounds like Diesel on cold start - engine clacking until warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
I remember reading about that "chamfering"- I don't recall that the noise was dependent on temperature - that it went away when engine warmed up.....
This is actually a very common occurrence with many engine over 4 or more decades....

I can't really say beyond that but 40 years is good enough for a response with experience?

IMHO and lots of practical experience I would not recommend the modification by DIY or many shops to the cam caps on a 2.4 engine from Chrysler.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 09:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Here is a video of the engine sound on cold morning.
https://youtu.be/ixYid9TeVVM

(song playing on radio cracked me up...."it's a beautiful sound" - NOT )
Old 20 Feb 2017, 03:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i have just same sound on my car (2.0 -2001) and i have it on previous car (2,4 -2001)

anybody can figure it out..?

Ps. i have to drain one liter oil per 1000 km...
just new to this car and done maintenance partially..

lets see if oil burning stops..
Old 20 Feb 2017, 06:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

A bit off topic for this, but does the engine starting up sound alright to everyone in that video? It sounds like to me that when he first turned the key, the car struggled for a second. Never heard a PT start up like that even on my previous 01 Limited, other 01 which had custom parts for my work, my 09 LX or my current 08 LX.

But, back to the topic on hand, Could be anything others have said but I have also experienced this with my 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse and has only gotten worse since, but the 3 mechanics I went to all said that some bearings or something were going bad and it was a sign of the engine beginning to fail. If the noise stayed continuously, even after warming up, then the engine was close to being dead.

I know that is an Eclipse, but to my understanding from what I have heard, (May be wrong) the PT Engines are Mitsubishi Engines. Not too sure if I believe that or not but it is possible....I guess. But that is my 2 cents on it.
Old 20 Feb 2017, 11:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thats the same diagnose that i have made by listening it in couple mornings.

Sound like camshaft bearing are gone bad.
Maybe running sometimes in past little low on oil since car like to drink it a lot.
no smoking blue (but cars with catalytic converter rare smoking blue, it turns to white )..thats for sure
Old 11 Nov 2017, 03:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Service is done (including toothbelt, water pump etc)

same sound, go away if throttle to 2300 rpm then coming back if rpm are lowered back.
When engine is warm. everything is ok
also vibrating feels in gas pedal and entire car when cold.
little vibrating can feel when car is warm.

But sound is horrible in cold..just same as previous videolink..

gonna try engine mounting renew at some point..

Any ideas beside cam bearings, if it is bearing i think motor would blew up already (drive now a year like this)
Old 11 Nov 2017, 04:16 am
Cool Cruiser

Sounds like it could be shitty injector(s) to me
Old 11 Nov 2017, 05:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thats the hard part of videos, you cant get sound very good.
Definitely not injectors..

Not coming from unclean firing etc.

sound is coming (at least i thought so) somewhere from toothbelt area.
(motor mount?)

No troublecodes, engine still running "fine" with that sound if you know what i mean
Old 11 Nov 2017, 05:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

and just for reminder this is 2.0 without balance shafts..

Same engine as neon have..