Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine sounds like Diesel on cold start - engine clacking until warm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Nov 2017, 07:11 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Engine sounds like Diesel on cold start - engine clacking until warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboapc View Post
Thats the hard part of videos, you cant get sound very good.
Definitely not injectors..

Not coming from unclean firing etc.

sound is coming (at least i thought so) somewhere from toothbelt area.
(motor mount?)

No troublecodes, engine still running "fine" with that sound if you know what i mean
Injectors can make horrible mechanical noises and still perform OK. To shut up injectors, try putting some 2-stroke oil in the petrol tank and see what happens after about 100 miles. Google for amounts per gallon, I can't remember and gallons can be US or Imp.
Old 11 Nov 2017, 07:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Engine sounds like Diesel on cold start - engine clacking until warm

As a matter a fact i have right now some diesel in petrol ( dont ask )

i think that cleans also injectors..(i dont have it for that )
and i run also with injector cleaner before
(not for the that sound) got other symptoms which are now gone
I got slightly hesitating when acceration to 80 km/h just after torqueconverter got locked up.. That is now gone and i believe its caused by injectors..

crawling with neon forums and they are writing about piston slap..
dont noticed any videos there
Old 12 Nov 2017, 05:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

What ever it's worth came across this
Old 18 Nov 2017, 09:31 am
Young Cruiser

Mine sounds like a,diesel always....not just during cold starts.

I had a bad tensioner pulley which let my timing belt slip and needed to be replaced.

When I got the pulley out, it was wobbly and sounded like an old metal roller skate wheel.
369,500 miles as of 11/18/17 '01 PT Cruiser automatic Original (Engine, Transmission, Power Steeering Pump)...3rd Radiator and Fan (with added fan toggle switch mounted inside of car)...3rd Crank Sensor, 2nd Cam Sensor, 3 Timing Belts replaced (1st at 140,000 the 2nd at 345,000 the 3rd at 369;000due to tensioner fail), 1 Rack and Pinion, 1 water pump at 345,000, 1 alternator at 345,000) 3rd Watts Link
Old 19 Nov 2017, 02:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Gonna try that 2-stroke oil...
I use 5W40 oil at the moment..

I did timing belt (including tensioner, idler, tensioner pulley and waterpump about 8000 km.. sounded before too, i think. not sure if it is worst or not before that..

Still in daily use, sound goes away or fade after engine is bit warm..
Old 22 Nov 2017, 01:21 pm
Young Cruiser

On the Youtube clip it sounds like valve noise, i.e. noisy tappets. These engines have hydraulic lash adjusters on the rocker arms, which can be noisy if there is insufficient oil in the top end at start up, then the noise goes away as the oil gets pumped up to the top. Have you tried an oil change with a genuine oil filter? Not all pattern oil filters have the non return valve that the OEM does, which helps keep oil in the top end whilst the motor is stood.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 02:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

I am running about 7 ounces of seafoam in my oil right now. This is the first time I have tried it but it should clean up the oil passages so top side will get oil sooner. I hope it works, I am going to run it about another hundred miles and see how dirty the oil gets. If it shows really black oil I will repeat the whole thing and then just do an oil change. It has been making a bit of "clattering" in the morning but it quiets down pretty fast.

Last edited by oldthom; 22 Nov 2017 at 03:52 pm.
Old 01 Dec 2017, 05:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I dont think my problem is in valve adjusters, sound fades or go away after engine reaches it normal temperature or reving 2000- 2500 rpm or up..
Old 02 Dec 2017, 08:06 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboapc View Post
I dont think my problem is in valve adjusters, sound fades or go away after engine reaches it normal temperature or reving 2000- 2500 rpm or up..
But if the hydraulic adjusters don't have sufficient oil at start up there will be excess clearance between valves/adjusters/rockers which is likely to lead to rattling. As the motor warms oil is pumped to the top including the hydraulic adjusters, so they can do their job properly closing the excess clearance and stopping the rattling. I suggest using OEM or other quality oil filter which has a non return valve and 5w-30 Ford spec fully synthetic oil. My old Kia Rio's engine was supposed to have non return valve in the filter and use Ford spec oil which made sense as the motor was derived from a Mazda/Ford design with hydraulic valve adjusters.
Old 02 Dec 2017, 09:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

But if you dont have that valve in your filter it only take second or two to get proper pressure after filter when starting engine.
i think (only think) havent done anything for that so far
that sound is becoming near toothbelt or cylinder nr 1 or somewhere there.

and when motor is cold and takes rpm to 2500 or so noise is gone. and when lowering rpm again under 2500 (cold motor) sound is back

i think it might be lower motor mount. especially when the noise "feels " in car.

I have some experience with cars and motors and i dont think its valve noise and i dont think its coming from nozzles.

maybe i should take video of that next time...