PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Wipers turn on randomly & blinker does not always turn on w/ multifunction switch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Nov 2016, 08:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Wipers turn on randomly & blinker does not always turn on w/ multifunction switch

Hi all,

My wipers go off randomly particularly when going over bumps on the road. (usually front, sometimes rear as well)

When I use the Multi-function switch to turn on the blinkers either left or right...sometimes it won't turn on. I have to slightly nudge the multi-function switch stalk close to flashing the high beams for it to turn on. Sometimes it stays lit but then other times it won't and I need to "flash highbeams" to get it working again.

If want to use the windshield washer fluid and spray fluid and use the wiper, sometimes it doesn't always engage. I have to do a little dance of light tapping on both stalks to get it to work. Then sometimes the wiper will not turn off. Flashing the high beams usually does the trick to get it to stop.

Sometimes even pulling back to turn on the high beams does not always work. Head lights randomly turn on and off while going over bumps. If I leave the lights on, they will not go on and off... I'm guessing and hoping the connection in the MFS is not good. This was replaced at the 30k mile mark and it worked for about 3 months and the issue came back. It stopped between 50k and 100k miles but it looks like the issue is plaguing me again.

Any idea what it could be? I just ordered a new Multi-function switch from RockAuto. Should I also get the wiper/washer switch? I also have not yet had my car flashed. I currently have the P063A code which I heard that flashing the computer will fix it... and possibly even fix the wiper issue.

Other than this... car has been solid. Since it never rains here in Southern California, I'd rather pull the fuse but I think that would also stop the blinkers from working. I always use my blinkers... so ya.

Too long didn't read:
wipers and headlights turn on and off randomly. Sometimes it stays on. I flash high beams for a temporary fix to turn off lights or stop wiper from staying on. Wiper will always go back down to the bottom position and does not get "stuck" in the middle of the windshield which leads me to believe it is the computer or the switch (not the motor). Should I buy a wiper/washer switch also if the MFS replacement I bought doesn't work? Will I need to get the computer reflashed for the new stalks? Blinker does not always work either. I have to flash the high beams for it to work. It will start to blink and will then stop. Problems are exacerbated by going over bumps.

I have a p063A code and never had computer flashed. I had the Multi-function switch replaced at 30k miles and it worked for a few a few months. Worked well between 50k-100k miles. Now the issue is back with 110k miles.

Last edited by funkyfred; 17 Nov 2016 at 08:27 pm.
Old 17 Nov 2016, 08:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Wipers turn on randomly & blinker does not always turn on w/ multifunction switch

Follow up question - How can I make sure all ground wires are good? I hear there are 3. I also read that poor ground issues can cause many electrical issues.
Old 04 Dec 2016, 07:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Wipers turn on randomly & blinker does not always turn on w/ multifunction switch

Just put in a brand new MFS and now the blinkers don't work AT ALL. Headlights turn on by themselves. Only way the blinkers work is if I press the hazards.

I put in the old MFS which worked SOMETIMES and now that doesn't work at all either.

Do you think I'll need to have the car flashed with the newest software? Something got messed up fiddling with the steering column/ignition switch?

My next guess will be to replace the ignition switch. I couldn't do it myself so Ill probably take it to the dealer.

Chalk me up to another PT cruiser owner having this dreaded issue.
Old 04 Dec 2016, 08:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Double check that the little plug in the back is connected & the cable connecting the 2 pieces of the MFS.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 05 Dec 2016, 06:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Remove your battery and air box and check and clean the grounds on your driver side fender too. I don't know about that flashing, but if you can get it done for free, that's the first thing you should have tried. Now you're going to have to search for PTPrices how to on repairing your MFS!

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 05 Dec 2016, 06:45 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Remove your battery and air box and check and clean the grounds on your driver side fender too. I don't know about that flashing, but if you can get it done for free, that's the first thing you should have tried. Now you're going to have to search for PTPrices how to on repairing your MFS!
All the switch repairs have been on the G1's as far as I know. The G2 MFS are different. Also that fix is just for fog lights.

Old 05 Dec 2016, 12:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

First time I did a MFS I forgot to swap the turn signal relay from the old unit to the new one and guess what, no turn signals.

Did you swap the turn signal relay over to the new MFS?
Old 05 Dec 2016, 12:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56doc View Post
First time I did a MFS I forgot to swap the turn signal relay from the old unit to the new one and guess what, no turn signals.

Did you swap the turn signal relay over to the new MFS?

That's a G1 thing 2000-2005 they removed the signal relay in the G2's 2006-2010.

Old 05 Dec 2016, 01:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
That's a G1 thing 2000-2005 they removed the signal relay in the G2's 2006-2010.
Gotcha.

I never saw in his post what year he had, but I now see in his signature he has a G2.
Old 05 Dec 2016, 02:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

[QUOTE=LionPT;634095]All the switch repairs have been on the G1's as far as I know. The G2 MFS are different. Also that fix is just for fog lights.[/QUOTE

Good catch, Lion. I didn't know that the G2's were that much different, but since that's the first year for the TIPM, it makes sense.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.