PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Is it that highly recommended for a dealership to do my timing belt?

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Nov 2016, 08:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Is it that highly recommended for a dealership to do my timing belt?

I've heard stories here that it is easy to mess up. Plus $1,100 for a timing belt isn't exactly cheap. I could use the savings for other things.
Old 17 Nov 2016, 08:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Is it that highly recommended for a dealership to do my timing belt?

I had mine done by a very competent mechanic.
Gkon likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Nov 2016, 09:52 pm
Banned

Default Re: Is it that highly recommended for a dealership to do my timing belt?

The more important thing to consider is what parts to replace while the area is torn apart. IMO, you should replace: timing belt, water pump, tensioner, idler pulley, 2 cam seals, crank seal, center motor mount.
rockandroller and Gkon like this.
Old 17 Nov 2016, 09:53 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

make sure they change your water pump with the belt .
Because the water pump is an item you only want to do while
the T-belt is off
I plan on changing the belt with pump myself
and think it will take about 8 hrs
.......I like abuse.!
I can get the parts Delivered for $165
and having a lift inside make these jobs very do-able
Gkon likes this.
Old 17 Nov 2016, 10:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

I did my own timing belt. If I was to have someone else do any repairs, personally, I would go to a reputable shop rather than a dealership. The techs at a dealership seem to be trained more for newer vehicles.

This is my personal opinion, you like it or you don't, it doesn't bother me either way.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 17 Nov 2016, 11:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

It's a tough and sometimes frustrating job. If you know your way around a car well enough, can follow directions, and have all the right tools you can do it. But it is no fun at all.

There is a great multi-part video on Youtube that walks you through it and a couple of others that are helpful. I kept my iPad right next to the car and followed along.

I would do it again if I had to (and probably will have to on my other PT), but it's not something I'd be doing gladly. Still, I saved about $900 of that $1,100 doing it myself, so there's that.
Old 18 Nov 2016, 12:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Aside from a little less working space a PT Cruiser contrary to opinion is relatively easy to work on. Even for DIY'rs.
I highly suggest to follow only the factory service manual if you are a DIY.
A better quality shop will use either the FSM or All Data. If you choose to use any other source for DIY instructions than you should expect you may have less then good finished results.

The hardest thing about even a timing belt change is the bending over for long periods of times.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 18 Nov 2016, 08:06 am
Veteran Cruiser

Our PTs are getting a bit long in the tooth age wise but they keep on keepin' on with the proper TLC.

SOOO BIG's a 2005. That's eleven years old but a timing belt kit belt last year gave him a new lease on life. His was a road side fix-em-um. No choice about it. He just kaboomed coming off I-95 in Kingsland, Ga. Fortunately it was at idle at a stop light at the end of the turn off and not at 80MPH!

It'll usually cost more at a dealership and because of the ages of our PT's, the experience of a dealer technician working daily on newer cars probably won't be any better. Especially if their techy haven't done it before. You might be payin, for a newby dealer techy for OJTing. That dealer estimate will includes the higher per hour dealer rates, the limitless coffee and donuts, cute customer relations personnel in short skirts and a fancy sales room.

Either DIY or go with a trusted recommend outside shop that's done the PT timing belt replacement a lot already. Use Good replacement parts though. Don't cut corners there. If your goin' DIY just follow the manual. Your labor and time free! Your time with your nose in the manual won't cost you a cent!

I actually had lined up a few estimates and was going to do it after that trip. All here in the Daytona area and well under your "dealer cost" I should-a-could-a-would-a! One guy was going to drop the drive train to do it. His was a trusted one man shop. That seemed reasonable when you consider the tight under the hood spaces on this job. Maybe other PT experts can way in on this suggestion! I'd of tackled it as a fun project myself if physically able!

You've already gotten a lot of good advise from PT'ers much more able than me. Good luck, GET-ER-DONE!
Happy PTin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 19 Nov 2016 at 08:43 am. Reason: addition
Old 18 Nov 2016, 09:41 am
Cool Cruiser

Definitely bring it to someone reputable and get everything else done as well. When I originally got mine done, I went to someone who said was an amazing mechanic, but I had never been to before. At the time I was short for money, having limited savings where I was an undergrad college student working a part-time minimum wage job and so I was told this guy would help me out big time. I went over everything on top of the timing belt I'd like to have done, which is pretty much everything else these guys have said. When I got the car back I couldn't believe that I was only being charged $432 for everything, until I saw the invoice....

The mechanic came out to me and said "Yeah, it was just the belt that needed to be replaced, everything else was fine." I left very upset because I was scared something he didn't replace was going to fail next....I'm sure you can guess what happened next.

About 9,000 miles later, my water pump died. I brought it to my now regular mechanic for work I don't feel comfortable doing myself and they replaced everything else I wanted in the first place, but I had to pay the labor to get at the water pump yet again. Got it back and have driven 25,000 miles since then and is running great.
Old 18 Nov 2016, 09:54 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonN View Post
Definitely bring it to someone reputable and get everything else done as well. When I originally got mine done, I went to someone who said was an amazing mechanic, but I had never been to before. At the time I was short for money, having limited savings where I was an undergrad college student working a part-time minimum wage job and so I was told this guy would help me out big time. I went over everything on top of the timing belt I'd like to have done, which is pretty much everything else these guys have said. When I got the car back I couldn't believe that I was only being charged $432 for everything, until I saw the invoice....

The mechanic came out to me and said "Yeah, it was just the belt that needed to be replaced, everything else was fine." I left very upset because I was scared something he didn't replace was going to fail next....I'm sure you can guess what happened next.

About 9,000 miles later, my water pump died. I brought it to my now regular mechanic for work I don't feel comfortable doing myself and they replaced everything else I wanted in the first place, but I had to pay the labor to get at the water pump yet again. Got it back and have driven 25,000 miles since then and is running great.
If you don't mind saying, how much was the second job?