Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By chuzz
  • 1 Post By quicksilverdon
  • 4 Post By rckstein
  • 2 Post By Dazzaman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Nov 2016, 01:39 am
Senior Cruiser

Default You guys have really got me scared.

You guys have really got me scared. I've had my 2002 PT Cruiser that I ordered new in August 2001 and so far have only put 28k mi on it. It is still my 'new car' and until I started reading here I was confident I would have no problem traveling and taking extended trips in it for several more years into the future with no problems.

But after seeing all the problems folks have with the timing belts with high mileage on them breaking and letting them down in the middle of no where with no warning. Now I'm concerned about 'longevity' of the belt even with low miles on it by 15yrs of aging.

Sure hope my 'new cars' aging belt isn't going to be a problem in the near future.
http://www.carnut.com/
FB https://www.facebook.com/george.c.mcdowell
My 2005 PT Cruiser GT Convertible Project

Old 19 Nov 2016, 08:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: You guys have really got me scared.

If you're starting and driving it every couple of weeks or so, I wouldn't worry about it, George. It's the ones that hardly ever get started or moved that concern me. Sitting is rough on a car. You have to keep the moving parts moving and lubricated.
Carnut likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 19 Nov 2016, 10:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I also think a locale like Arizona would be worse on rubber....
Carnut likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Nov 2016, 10:56 am
Banned

Your mileage only works out to about 5 miles a day, if you drove it everyday for the past 15 years. When you do drive it, about how many miles on each trip? If very short distances, just to a local store and back, for example, they say it is the short trips that can be not so good on a car. Your better off taking it out on longer trips to get everything fully exercised and at optimum operating temperatures.

Just keep driving it and see how long it goes until the belt snaps, you might set a record for the lowest mileage PT with a snapped timing belt (just kidding).
Old 19 Nov 2016, 05:04 pm
Young Cruiser

I think that every car forum has horror stories about things that have gone wrong, but the reality is that it is only a small percentage of cars that have failed. From what I have been reading from this forum and others the PT is a pretty robust car as long as you keep up the servicing. Mine is 16 years old but it drives like a new car and I love it
Just keep driving and enjoy it.
rckstein and bennyc like this.