Advertisements
Sticky heat control cable

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Robi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Nov 2016, 01:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Sticky heat control

A couple of weeks ago I realized that in my 2006 PT turning the control knob for the inside temperature (located on the right) is very stiff. I removed the center bezel and realized that it is not the control knob. The white cable seems to be fine too. I followed it and handled the lever directly at the end of the cable with the same result: There is a weird scratching sound and moving the lever doesn't work smooth.
I took this video:
https://youtu.be/Hy9OMShgUc8

Anybody had that problem before? I really hope that I do not have to remove everything to access the heater core
I've seen a couple of problems with the left control knob for vent mode but this is new to me.

Thanks & cheers,
Robi

Last edited by Robi; 20 Nov 2016 at 03:44 pm.
Old 20 Nov 2016, 08:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Sticky heat control cable

Sounds to me like the cable is operating the blend door just fine. I'd take a close look at the connection on the back of the controller.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 21 Nov 2016, 04:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your answer chuzz. Isn't the sound in the video unusual?
The connection at the back of the controller works fine.
You mentioned the blend door. Is that the part, which the white cable operates in the 2006 model? Handling its arm (or lever - not sure which is the proper english word) requires a lot of force. So I guess the blend door could have a problem!?
Old 21 Nov 2016, 04:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

if it were me i would borrow my friends inspection camera and look in both from the foot vent and the intake behind the wiper cowl. do you have a friend with one of those?
Old 21 Nov 2016, 05:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I don't have a clue as to if they changed the duct work on the 06's or not. I can't see why they would have. That cable apparently opens and closes a flapper in the duct work to direct the direction of the heat. I'm not sure what controls the actual temperature. Have you checked your antifreeze level? You really don't want to get into the heater core. It's a long, drawn out pain in the neck job. You actually have to remove the dash board to access it. Rob has given an EXCELLENT suggestion. Maybe you can just spray some silicone lubricant on the cable and make it less stiff?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 05:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I borrowed an inspection camera and was able to see the flap moving. My view was limited and I couln't find anything wrong. So I headed to Chrysler. They told me that either something fell down into the mechanism or that a piece of the flap broke and blocks it now.

Anyway, since I can still regulate temperature with some force I will live with it. At least until the controller breaks... and then I have a project for next summer hilodays :-)

Thanks for your inputs!

Cheers,
Robi
chuzz likes this.