PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Broke down 500 miles from home, water pump messed up. What should I replace?

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Nov 2016, 05:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Broke down 500 miles from home, water pump messed up. What should I replace?

I have a 2.4 engine which the water pump is under the timing belt. I was 500 miles away from home when water pump made the car run hot. Went to auto zone and the guy there put some radiator leak and antifreeze in tank since It was bone dry. He revved up the motor to circulate things. So thankful for this guy. Turned back around and went back home. No thanksgiving with family.

I told this story because I wanted to know, do I need to replace the radiator along with the timing belt, spark plugs. Because the car kind of got hot a couple of times during the ride home. He's a great mechanic but he maybe leaving some things out just for something later down the road to fix.

I'm having a mechanic do the timing belt and need to know what parts to buy so my car can run again. I asked the mechanic but his answer was only the timing belt and water. From my research I think it's much more.

Also, due to my travel ordeal over 2 days is this car a lost cause. I never let it get to the hot point. Once the temperature rised, I always pulled it over and put more antifreeze in but when I got close to home my boyfriend was so excited to finally get home. He started going 70 to get home and the water container has red in it. Not sure if that's from the radiator stop leak or that I need to replace the radiator and the water tank. Sorry for the long explanation.
Old 24 Nov 2016, 06:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Broke down 500 miles from home, water pump messed up. What should I replace?

Hopefully others will join in and add or correct me. With the timing belt, always do the belt tensioner and water pump. Others have suggested to do the center motor mount and check the seal(s) on the crankshaft for any signs of seepage and change those also if there is any leak.

The red in the overflow tank could very possibly be the stop leak. Suggest you do a pressure check on the radiator and hoses and a compression check to see if you did any internal damage.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Nov 2016, 11:44 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Broke down 500 miles from home, water pump messed up. What should I replace?

There is timing belt kits available. ...I would buy a good name like gates..
I'm getting ready to do one myself. ...

Old 25 Nov 2016, 12:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by evonna_21 View Post
.... when water pump made the car run hot....
If this happened then the water pump seal severely leaked or the impeller shaft broke or bearing seizure. ! In any case you would not still be running the engine. Water pumps on PT Cruiser 2.4 do not make the the engine run hot.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 25 Nov 2016, 03:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I kept hearing bubbling noises.
Old 25 Nov 2016, 03:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you're hearing bubbling noise, then you need to check the pressure that your radiator cap holds. A weak spring or worn out seal will allow blow by to the over flow jug. A hole in the small tube from the radiator filler neck to the over flow jug will also cause bubbling. I had a similar situation and a new cap fixed mine. It wasn't holding 10 pounds of pressure on the cooling system.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 25 Nov 2016, 03:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

The first thing to do is identify if you have a leak and where it is (I'm guessing you do). Fill the tank with water, run the engine for a bit, and see if water is dripping or pouring onto the ground and whereabouts it's coming from. Also see if steam is escaping from the radiator. Stop the car if the heat rises over the center mark

Since you heard the bubbling, my guess would be that was fluid in the overflow tank given that's it's nearest to the cabin and thus easy to hear bubbling. I think that could have more than one cause (air in the system, actual boiling water, etc), but for now just see if you see water leaking anywhere.
Old 25 Nov 2016, 04:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have a 2.4 engine which the water pump is under the timing belt. I was 500 miles away from home when water pump made the car run hot. Went to auto zone and the guy there put some radiator leak and antifreeze in tank since It was bone dry. He revved up the motor to circulate things.

SO with this said we know there is a leak my guess is the water pump is bad and leaking the rest of the post kinda says this aslo so the problem is did it overheat and blow the head gasket or simply just get hot im not sure how to check that with a bad water pump and while pulling the head is not a lot more work it is a lot more expense and while it may be the "RIGHT" thing to do its still gonna cost
Old 25 Nov 2016, 04:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

On my 02 I heard the bubbling noise and I figured the radiator cap must be bad as the coolant was full. Fluid under pressure has a higher boiling point, changed the cap and never heard it again.
Old 25 Nov 2016, 04:55 pm
Regular Cruiser

On my 02 I heard the bubbling noise and I figured the radiator cap must be bad as the coolant was full. Fluid under pressure has a higher boiling point, changed the cap and never heard it again.

Sorry but your fix will not be this easy.