Trials and Tribulations of Finding a Fender

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Dec 2016, 01:48 pm
Banned

Default Re: Trials and Tribulations of Finding a Fender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkon View Post
Yeah, that's definitely a concern. VsandFords checked and it should be around $25 to ship to my home, so cost isn't an issue, but arriving in good shape is.

I remember shipping things with Greyhound! Ah, the good 'ol days.
Was he just guessing the weight, because a lot of shipping companies also use package size as a rate factor, so while something may not weigh a lot, if it takes up a lot of room, it can be costly. It's one of those things where size does matter.
Gkon likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 13 Dec 2016 at 02:36 pm.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 02:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Was he just guessing the weight, because a lot of shipping companies also use package size as a rate factor, so while something may not weigh a lot, if it takes up a lot of room, it can be costly. It's one of those things where size does matter.
It was an estimate. I'm sure the size will be an issue.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 03:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i just wanted to drop in and congratulate you for getting 550 views in a post about a fender.
rckstein and Carnut like this.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 03:54 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Gkon, as far as those photos of that silver junker fender goes, the only thing out of sorts is that small twist in the front flange. Easily straightened. A normal anomaly! I'd go for it before it's GWTW! There's no rust on it! $75 plus shipping is a great price and it's a perfect match for your PT. GO-FER-IT and report back on your astounding success! It's your "fender" dream come true! Give us a big yahoo!

Happy Ptin', ptprice
Gkon likes this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 05:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
i just wanted to drop in and congratulate you for getting 550 views in a post about a fender.
I hadn't noticed. I'm honored.
rckstein likes this.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 10:17 pm
Young Cruiser

If you can get the fender for a hundred bucks delivered that would be fair enough. If it matches exactly, you should run out and buy a lottery ticket! Just painted a fender and hood in PW1 Stone white. There are 5 recognized possible shades (in 2008) of that particular color. It depends on where the car was in the factory spray cycle. Cars at the beginning of the silver spray run will be and are a different color than the last ones sprayed. Even the metallic is different depending on the timing of the cycle. The base color may be perfect but the flip and flop of the paint can be drastically different. The good news is after you drive it around a day or two it will be dirty enough you wont notice !
j
Gkon likes this.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 10:52 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPT View Post
If you can get the fender for a hundred bucks delivered that would be fair enough. If it matches exactly, you should run out and buy a lottery ticket! Just painted a fender and hood in PW1 Stone white. There are 5 recognized possible shades (in 2008) of that particular color. It depends on where the car was in the factory spray cycle. Cars at the beginning of the silver spray run will be and are a different color than the last ones sprayed. Even the metallic is different depending on the timing of the cycle. The base color may be perfect but the flip and flop of the paint can be drastically different. The good news is after you drive it around a day or two it will be dirty enough you wont notice !
j
That's all good info. I know that it won't match perfectly, but that's ok. Pretty close would make me happy for now, with no scratches or rust.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 01:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

To keep everyone posted who is following Gkon's journey, I went to the yard to pull the fender earlier today. upon closer inspection, I found a couple of things that were a deal breaker.
Gkon likes this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 14 Dec 2016, 02:21 pm
Banned

We were all hoping for the best.

.....and so the saga continues.....

.....keep checking back for the latest.....
Gkon likes this.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 03:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

One of the issues with the fender.

[IMG][/IMG]

You don't want to spend good money with a ding like this.

This was on the strange side, the door tag is on backwards.

[IMG][/IMG]

Also the paint code was different.

Next time Gkon, next time.
Gkon likes this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!