PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 Manual can't shift

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Nov 2016, 12:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy 2001 Manual can't shift

Hi All-
First off I'm new here so I'm happy to get any feedback on bad posting etiquette etc. I have searched previous posts on this topic and found some helpful hints, but I am still dead in the water.

My scenario: The car is a 2001 Limited Edition 5 speed manual, 188K miles. My wife called this morning to say that she was having trouble shifting into gears. We had had a discussion a while ago about how amazing it was that we were at 188K miles and still on the original clutch. (I know this is a key clue). She came home, expertly somehow convincing the car to change gears. When I tried it in the driveway I could not get it into gear. Just grinding in all gear positions, suggesting that the clutch was not doing its job. I tried running the engine to get it up to operating temp, no luck.

I did some searching around and found a miracle fix related to worn out shifter bushings. I investigated and indeed the left forward bushing was gone. Totaly. Ran down to NAPA and got a replacement set for $25 thinking this would be easy Hero duty. Installed the bushing. No Luck. Still the grinding noise.

I found talk of adjusting the pedal screw. After a bit of puzzling I figured that out, but alas, it was already adjusted all the way out. Still grinding.

My wondering is does this sound typical of clutch failure? It came on very quickly where I would have expected a gradual degradation. Maybe that was there and so gentle that we didn't pick up on the signs. At this point I seem to be in a place where I will have to hire a tow to get it into the shop. Any suggestions as to how to get it to engage enough to get to the shop under its own power would be greatly appreciated.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 12:39 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 Manual can't shift

Did you check the clutch hydraulic fluid level?

Can you put it in first with the car off? Can you shift without the clutch? How far is the shop?

Any thought on shimming the slave with two washer to make it engage farther?
Old 28 Nov 2016, 12:51 am
Veteran Cruiser

It is possible to get debris wedged between the pressure plate and the clutch disk. I did it to my pt one night after a few beers. Slammed it into first instead of third.. standard procedure to clean the debris out is to start the car, grab the shifter, and yank it into reverse. The car will stall. Sometimes you'll need to do it twice. I've actually"fixed" a few cars like this.

Your thinking of normal clutch failure is correct. The friction material can also break off in sections and stack up. This causes it to lock and the procedure above should clear it. The car should not be driven far like this. If this fixes it, change the clutch as driving far like this can cause other issues.

The $145 rock auto clutch amazed me. Smooth and durable. I beat the piss out of it. Chirps third. Lol

Last edited by rob302; 28 Nov 2016 at 01:41 am.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 09:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replies Rob.
I did top off the fluid in the small resevoir.
The shop is about 4 miles away, with a large hill (down!)

I like the debri fixes, it doesn't seem like that is whats going on but it has been a while since I have been into a clutch and have never seen one on a PT Cruiser. I will look around for a video so I can visualize what is going on.

It looks like a tow to the shop is in the cards, it didn't sound like a clutch replacement in the driveway is something I want to launch into.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 10:43 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
Thanks for the replies Rob.
I did top off the fluid in the small resevoir.
The shop is about 4 miles away, with a large hill (down!)

I like the debri fixes, it doesn't seem like that is whats going on but it has been a while since I have been into a clutch and have never seen one on a PT Cruiser. I will look around for a video so I can visualize what is going on.

It looks like a tow to the shop is in the cards, it didn't sound like a clutch replacement in the driveway is something I want to launch into.
you're welcome. i did the clutch in my driveway, took about 2.5 hours to remove and 2 to reinstall. the clutch on the PT is a flywheel riveted to a pressure plate with the disk already wedged in there. it bolts to a flex plate like an auto, and there is no pilot bearing. all one chunk of metal.

more clutch/trans pics from when i killed mine: i killed it.

Tags
2001 limited, clutch, not shifting