PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HELP ! Changed spark plugs on 01 Cruiser now car is sputtering !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Nov 2016, 09:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry HELP ! Changed spark plugs on 01 Cruiser now car is sputtering !

Hey guys, i changed the spark plugs on my 01 PT Cruiser and all seemed well until i turned the car on and it started sputtering, i then noticed that the PCV Valve hose was torn a bit, like a clean slice verticly about and inch and a half, i repaired it with a hose patcher that i had to see if it sounded better when i turned it on but i didnt notice a difference, now when i replaced the spark plugs i couldnt get the manifold cover off so i just took off the bolt holding it in the front and lifted it and held it with a bungee cord, it was still connected to a metal pipe in the back of the manifold with two bolts, i dont think i broke it and i dont remember taking off any vaccum hoses, what could i have done ? is it the hose or did i crack something ? i didnt hear anything cracking when i was lifting the manifold and holding it so what could it be ? please help... Thanks alot...
Old 28 Nov 2016, 09:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: HELP ! Changed spark plugs on 01 Cruiser now car is sputtering !

Check and make sure you didn't accidentally knock off the brake booster vacuum hose. I've done that before by accident.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 09:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Where is that ?
Old 28 Nov 2016, 09:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

where is that hose ?
Old 28 Nov 2016, 09:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Check all the hoses around the brake booster behind the master cylinder.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 09:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

If it were me, I would start by making sure all spark plug boots are firmly seated back on the plugs. If all boots are seated I would pull the plugs and re-check the gaps.

If that all checked good, I would trying pulling the boots you can access while the engine is running and if you pull a spark plug boot off and there is a change in idle (runs rougher), then that is an indication that cylinder is good. If you pull a spark plug boot and there is no change in the idle (an indication that cylinder is not firing), then start looking as to why that cylinder is either not getting spark or fuel.

After that I would be looking for loose lines or hoses. However my experience with a bad vacuum line is that it will cause a low idle (maybe a stall) and not really a sputter.

GL
Old 28 Nov 2016, 09:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Check the diagnostic connector using a scan tool for pending or active DTCs.

It is also not out of the thought that a spark plug(s) or the leads was damaged during installation.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 28 Nov 2016, 11:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would also suggest checking to see if one of the spark plugs is loose. Every once in a while a member had gotten interrupted during the spark plugs installation and found out later one of the spark plugs was loose.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 12:37 am
Senior Cruiser

Also, make sure the intake manifold gaskets are seated properly.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 08:26 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I for one would have changed spark plug wires, inspected each base for arking and meticulously cleaned out each plug socket in the valve cover at the same time. An ark burn at the plug wire boot can indicate a short because of trash or oil in the plug socket of the valve cover. This can create a short that can be defines as sputtering. The vacuum line, though independent must also be resolved. Also look to your manifold gaskets being seated as advised. One might have been depreciated or dislodged in your adventure. Good Luck.

Happy Ptin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Tags
2001, pt cruiser, spark plugs