Advertisements
An even easier Fix for the PT MFS

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ptprice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Nov 2016, 10:21 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default An even easier Fix for the PT MFS

Here's my latest fix to resurface the worn part on the MFS that dysfunctions fog light activation when the plastic "thingy" surface wears down.

I'd already run a thread explaining the long term success I'd had with restoring fog light function by resurfacing that part I called the "thingy" with JB Weld PlasticWeld.

A discovered simple short cut during the curing and re-shaping time on this fix at the stage of finishing the surface area.

Even though it'd worked for me, I'm an artist and dedicated to getting it just right no mattre how long it takes.

I realized a secondary coat of the PlasticWeld, that at best is hard to do because of the curing time and it's tendency to flow till cured, should be addressed with an easier way.

Because of the I tried a light cover spray of Krylon clear acrylic. This sped the job up, leaving just as hard a wear surface on the repaired "thing" and didn't need any more micro finishing. Dry and ready to install in ten minutes. Even though installed, I'd wait twenty four hours before trying it out. The test MFS I was working on unfortunately had other anomalies other than just a worn "thingy" (sorry Bubba!) so although the "thingy" was successfully repaired there were other irreparable parts in the MFS the prevented it's reuse.

IMG_1102.jpg
Remove the top plate only to inspect for burn connections, springs, plastic and copper components. It involves removing two screws ( a small Allen wrench will suffice) and carefully pry surrounding clips. Pull plug that leads from the MFS light lever.

IMG_1104.jpg
The "thingy" can be seen from this top view under the long white slide block.

IMG_1106.jpg
After prying out bottom cover plate which include the four way flasher unit, carefully set it aside. Remove the silver screw I point to and carefully push, pry and lift the inner plate up and back. There's a lot of integral parts on this plate that can be pre-removed if you photo it first to be sure of accurate reassembly. I chose to carefully remove it to save time.

IMG_1108.jpg
the famous "thingy"

IMG_1110.jpg
the worn "thingy still with the original grease but you can see from the shadowed edge the the excessive wear and groove worn on to that concave control surface

IMG_1121.jpg
PlasticWeld curing with a masking tape dam in place to control flow while drying.

IMG_1131.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg
Views of repaired "thingy"

IMG_1134.jpg
Spraying Krylon clear Acrylic for final finish

Have at it yourself or if you determine your MFS dysfunction is just a worn "thingy' send your "thingy to me and I'll fix it for shipping costs.

Every PT needs functioning fog lights!

Happy Ptin', ptprice
rcktpwrd and Sinbad like this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.