PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cylinder 2 Lower Intake Manifold Discoloration

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Dec 2016, 01:14 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Cylinder 2 Lower Intake Manifold Discoloration

I was doing some other work and happen to notice that only the lower intake vein for cylinder 2 has a brown discoloration and is not oily. All others looked oily and black - which relatively speaking seems normal. Any ideas what would cause intake 2 to be different from the others?

IMG_20161120_201927648.jpg

IMG_20161120_201942430.jpg

Stock 2002 Limited "Legacy" Edition 166k - been in the family since purchased new in 2001. Keeping the legacy alive.
Old 01 Dec 2016, 01:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cylinder 2 Lower Intake Manifold Discoloration

When you get the engine reassemble I suggest to do a compression test.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 01 Dec 2016, 07:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

I was viewing your pictures and that close-up of the #2 lower intake port looks like it has a crack in the upper right corner. Almost appears to have some bulging there as well. If it indeed is a crack, you could also be getting unmetered air intake into that cylinder causing a lean burn on that cylinder. Just looks that way in the picture, maybe nothing but maybe something.
Old 01 Dec 2016, 07:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

That might just be build up protruding into the port at that corner but I definitely would investigate possible unmetered air getting in to the cylinder there. Even if it isn't cracked it certainly appears to be bulging in that area compared to the surrounding area possibly not allowing the seal on the upper intake to properly seal the junction of the two halves.
Old 02 Dec 2016, 10:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There is a few reason why that really makes no sence ! ^^^^
I would like to know what the upper looks like?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 02 Dec 2016, 01:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

I must be blind (I actually do have eye issues), but when I look at the first picture, I don't see anything abnormal with the exception of the coloring. I don't see anything that appears to be a build up or bulge.

Now in the second photo there is what appears to maybe be a build up or bugle, but since I don't see it in the first photo, I am thinking it is an illusion.

No idea about the coloring but wonder if that runner is in direct line from the throttle body where as the others have to make turns. Not sure if that would matter.
Old 02 Dec 2016, 02:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Looks like a spark plug that's burning lean. I'm told that exahast gasses can cause this. Do you have any miss condition at any point. Codes of any kind. Drawing clean air from the out side could not clean up that runner. Remember these are dry runners. Fuel is introduced at the opening of the head. Crankcase gases and air are the only things going through there. So heat is about the only thing that could burn off those deposits in the port. Assuming you haven't added a nozzle to the intake.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Dec 2016, 03:38 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
... Do you have any miss condition at any point. Codes of any kind.
There are no codes but at idle there feels like a slight miss every now and then. It's felt like that for as long as I can remember.

Also, per previous comments, I am going to do a compression test and while I have the manifold apart I'll more closely inspect the upper and lower manifolds and post some photos.

Stock 2002 Limited "Legacy" Edition 166k - been in the family since purchased new in 2001. Keeping the legacy alive.
Old 02 Dec 2016, 09:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Well obviously, all my posts make no sense, fitting however, since Imakenocents! Wow, I just used that word three different ways. Onto the issue at hand. Well this is a map engine and not a maf engine configuration but with that said I don't like the looks of that second picture but as has been stated might just be illusion but worth a second look. As has been suggested a compression check would certainly give you some more evidence to follow. Maybe you have a minor intake valve seat leak in one or both of the intake valve seats for #2 cylinder allowing some exhaust to feedback through the intake valves into the #2 port. I would think it would have to be at a point right now though as to not trigger a dtc code for #2 cylinder misfire P0302. If it is a bit low on compression on #2, it apparently isn't bad enough yet for the pcm to generate a code but you did state you have a slight miss. I also would pull that #2 spark plug and another from one of the other cylinders and compare them. Happy troubleshooting and again Imakenocents, by the way my last name is Price, maybe it makes sense now.
Old 02 Dec 2016, 09:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

^^ The PCM in the PT Cruiser are not that sophisticated.
IMHO you are over thinking this and over rating the PCM abilities.
But you are getting closer to what I think think the problem is given the limited information so far presented.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN